With God, things are absolute. A person is either saved or he’s lost. There is no in between. He’s either a child of God or he’s a child of the devil. There are no other spiritual families, no matter what religion he claims to be. He’s either going to heaven or he is going to hell. There is no intermediate place of purging like purgatory. It’s either day or it’s night. A thing is either right or it’s wrong. It’s either true or it’s false.
Therefore, among people there are only two kinds of witnesses. There are those who are faithful, godly and true. Or there are those who are false, ungodly, and deceitful. They’re either telling the truth or they are lying. This idea of agreeing to disagree is not of God. That’s a man-made philosophy to obscure absolutes, like so many other blurred, grey ideas of men.
When a person proclaims his view or his opinion or his stand on a matter, he’s either a true witness or he’s a deceitful witness. He can’t be both and he can’t be in-between. He’s either a godly witness or he is an ungodly witness. If he’s not a godly witness, then he’s ungodly, no matter how nice he may be or how believable his lie may be or how persuasive he may be. He’s either a faithful witness or he’s a false witness. He or she is either one or the other.
Notice these references in Proverbs:
- A false witness or a faithful witness – Prov 14:5 – a false witness will utter lies. A faithful witness will not lie.
- An ungodly witness or a godly witness – Prov 19:28 – an ungodly witness scorneth judgment. A godly witness is a Spirit-filled witness [Acts 1:8].
- A deceitful witness or a true witness – Prov 14:25 – a deceitful witness speaketh lies. A true witness delivereth souls.
False, ungodly, deceitful witnesses proclaim these things to be true among us today.
- Same-sex marriage is right – that’s false. It’s an abomination to God [Lev 18:22; Lev 20:13; Rom 1:26-27; 1 Cor 6:9-10; etc]
- Transgender is acceptable – that’s false. God made them male and female [Gen 1:27]. Just because you can change your body parts doesn’t mean that God approves. God doesn’t even allow cross-dressing [Deut 22:5]. He’s surely not going to allow changing genders. Look at Ps 139:13-16.
- Natural selection and the science of natural processes explain the origin of mankind and the universe – that’s false. God created the universe and everyone and everything in it [Gen 1:1; Jn 1:3; Col 1:16-17; Rev 10:5-6].
- Destructive climate change is the result of man made excessive carbon emissions – that’s false. Did you notice how the false witnesses changed the terminology from “global warming” to “climate change?” They were having a hard time convincing people of global warming. In any case, God is in charge of the climate; not man [Jas 5:17-18; 1 Sam 12:17-18; Jos 10:11; Ex 10:13, 19; Matt 5:45; Rev 16:8-9; etc].
- Mary was a perpetual virgin – that’s false. In Mk 6:3 we see the names of his brothers and we see that he had sisters.
- You can be saved by being good – that’s false. Titus 3:5; Rom 3:10, 12, 19, 23. Jesus is the only way to the Father, Jn 14:6.
- You can be saved by being religious – that’s false. The most religious man in the Bible was lost until he believed on Jesus Christ and was born again by the Holy Spirit [Acts 10]. You are not saved by religion; you are saved by the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ [Rom 3:24-26; Rom 4:6-8].
These are just some of the many false witnesses that are among us. And there is political and religious pressure to accept these false, ungodly, deceitful witnesses.
With so many false witnesses, God still wants faithful, godly and true witnesses. Are you going to be one of God’s witnesses? Or are you going to keep your mouth closed and the truth to yourself while the world is blinded by their lies? If you are not a faithful, godly and true witness, then your silence may be considered agreement with these false witnesses and assent to their lies. You don’t want to go along with them, do you?
Faithful, true, godly witnesses tell the truth of God from God’s words. Just like you have seen the truth concerning the lies of the false witnesses among us, you proclaim the truth. And when you preach the gospel, don’t compromise it with the lies of the false witnesses. Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven. It is through his death, burial and resurrection [1 Cor 15:1-4] that we are saved. He took our sins on himself that we might have his righteousness [2 Cor 5:21] when we receive him [Jn 1:12]. People must be born again or they will not see and enter the kingdom of God [Jn 3:1-7]. There is no other way.
Conclusion: as a Christian, you should be a faithful, godly, true witness. You must not lie [Eph 4:25]. Your word must be as good as gold. You must be filled with the Spirit [Eph 5:18]. Witnessing is the work of the Spirit through you. It takes his power for souls to be saved [Acts 1:8]. And you must speak the truth of God’s words, delivering souls [Prov 14:25; Acts 8:4; Jas 5:19-20]. Ultimately, that’s why we witness.