Numbers in the Word of God
In the previous lesson we saw some connections for the numbers 1 through 4. In this lesson we are going to look at the numbers 5 and 6. Remember that the two main goals of these lessons are to show that God has to be the author of his word and not man and to therefore increase our faith in God and in his word.
The Number Five :
The number five is connected with death. Many Bible scholars say that the number of 5 is grace. While there are some places where it seems like five is connected with grace like in the death of Jesus Christ, we still find overall that the number is more associated with death. It is true that through the death of the Lord Jesus Christ we are saved by grace but note that it is still connected with death even though grace is the result of it.
The first time we see the number 5 in the word of God is in Genesis 5:6. First of all note how this chapter starts it is the book of the generations of Adam (verse 1). This is interesting because in Adam all die (1 Corinthians 15:22). This chapter deals with how long the children of Adam lived. Also in this chapter we see the first death of natural causes in Genesis 5:5. Adam was the first to die naturally that we see in the word of God, remember Abel was murdered. It is not just a coincidence that it is placed in chapter 5 and verse 5 this similar thing happens again in Acts 5:5 we see a man drop dead for lying to the Holy Ghost.
To show that God is the one behind the word of God let us look at some first occurrences of words and show the connection to the number 5.
Die (Genesis 2:17) 2+1+1+7 = 10 10 divided by two is 5 there were two who received this commandment.
Died (Genesis 5:5) 5+5 = 10 Once again we have the number 10. (10/2 = 5)
Death (Genesis 21:16) 2+1+2+6 = 10 Once again we have the number 10. (10/2 = 5)
It is not a coincidence that these numbers workout like this it is the divine inspiration of God to show you that he is the author of his book.
In Hebrews 2:14 we see that Satan was said to have had the power of death. Have you ever noticed in the English language that Satan, Devil, and death all have 5 letters in these words?
A Husband is supposed to die for his wife just as Christ love the church and gave himself for it. This is found in Ephesians 5:25. Note here that 5 times itself is 25 and it is here that God compared the death of Christ to the death of the husband for is wife showing his love. This kind of love is shown to us in John 15:13. Note that 15 is a multiple of 5 and that 1+5+1+3 = 10. Here it is again. This is simply amazing.
Now we will give some more examples of 5 being connected with death :
- The brazen altar in the Old Testament Tabernacle where all the sacrifices were killed was built 5 cubits square. (Exodus 27:1) [Note those numbers add to ten also.]
- In Leviticus you will find 5 different offerings to be offered on this altar. The burnt offering, the peace offering, the sin offering, the trespass offering, and the meat offering.
- Romans chapter 5 deals with death of Adam and its results for man verses the death of Christ and its results of man.
- Benjamin received 5 times as much as his brethren (Genesis 43:34 ; 45:22) and if you remember his mother died in child birth.
- The first 5 books of the bible are the law and it is by the law that man knows sin (Romans 7:7) and the result of sin is death (James 1:14-15).
- It is also very interesting that the word religion only occurs 5 times in a King James Bible. Note that every one of them is connected with something bad. That is because there is only 1 way to heaven and that is the Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6). If all you have is religion and not Jesus Christ then all you have is death.
The Number Six :
The number six is connected with man. We will see that it is also connected with a specific man called the anti-christ. The first time we see the number in the word of God it is in Genesis 7:6. In this verse we see that the age of Noah is give when the flood comes upon the earth and he is 600 years old. This is interesting because the flood is a type of the tribulation and Noah was 600 years old. From Adam until right now we have had 6000 years of human history on this earth and the rapture could happen at any moment and then the 7 year tribulation would start. It is important also to remember that man was created on the 6th day.
When we see the number of the anti-christ give in Revelation 13:18 it is said to be the number of a man and it is 666. First note that it is in the 18th verse which is 6+6+6. You can note also that 1+3+1+8 = 13 which as we will see later in this study is connected with Satan and rebellion. Many times you will see the number 13 and six connected together because they deal with the Satan manifest in the flesh which is the anti-christ.
Nebuchadnezzar built an image and made people worship it the image was 60 cubits high and it is a type of the anti-christ and his image that will be worshipped in the tribulation.
Other places that we see the number 666 :
Ezra 2:13 Note 2+1+3 = 6
2 Chronicles 9:13 Note 9+1+3 = 13
1 Kings 10:14 Note 1+0+1+4 = 6
These things are not coincidences remember these are the living words of the living God that we are dealing with. In regards to the word of God it is interesting to note that his word is made up of 66 books. Jesus was God manifest in the flesh and he is called the word of God (Revelations 19:13). Therefore God became man and revealed himself to man and now he reveals himself to us through his written word and it is exactly 66 books, simply amazing!
By now you are starting to see the hand of God not only in inspiring his word and preserving it in a King James Bible but also even in the chapters and numbers and order of the books. Therefore as we read and study God’s word we should pay attention to all the detail and believe it whole heartedly and simply do what it says.
Numbers in the Word of God
Lesson #2 : Handout
1) What do we know about the number 5 in the word of God? Give examples and references.
2) What do we know about the number 6 in the word of God? Give examples and references.