Joshua Builds Two Memorials
As a part of crossing the Jordan River Joshua instructed one man of each tribe to take a rock from where the feet of the priest stood in the river. They were to take that rock and carry it unto the other side and make a memorial on the other side of Jordan. Joshua also made a memorial where the priest feet stood in the water.
In this lesson we will look at memorials and how we as saved people should have memorials.
What is a memorial?
Memeorial – Something used to preserve the memory or something used to help us to remember something that happened.
A spiritual example of this would be the Lord’s Supper (1 Corinthians 11:23-34). By partaking of the Lord’s Supper we are showing the death of Jesus until he comes.
What did the Memorial on the bank represent?
1) Victory of God (verse 22)
- We see the victory for Israel in crossing the Jordan safely.
2) Preservation of God (verse 23)
- God preserved every one and no one was lost in the crossing.
3) Future Safety of God (verse 24)
- Other would see what God had done for Israel and be afraid.
4) Power of God (verse 24)
- Not only would Israel know that the hand of the Lord was mighty others would know as well.
The important thing about a memorial is that it is for future generations. This was why there were two memorials. The one in the water everyone who crossed over saw. But the future generation would have to take by faith that the memorial was in the water. Just like it in the Lord’s Supper we were not at the first Lords supper or the death on the cross but by the word of God we have faith that it happened. By partaking of the Lord’s Supper we are showing that to the next generation until he comes.
This is why it is a good idea to have a prayer journal. So that you can make a way to remember the things that God has done for you and you can pass them on to the next generation.
Joshua Builds Two Memorials : Handout
1) What is a good definition for the word memorial?
2) Give an example of a memorial that saved people should observe.
3) What were the two memorials that Joshua put up after crossing Jordan?
4) What did the memorials represent?
5) What was the reason for the two memorials?