Social Media and Modern Day Communication
Communication in our society today is not what it was years ago. Today communication is primarily done via text, email, or social media of some sort. Today many adults and most kids are glued to a phone constantly checking their story lines, twitter feed or Facebook post. While social media can be a useful tool it also has many dangers. And for anyone who had tried to work with young people today you can see how it has greatly affected their ability to communicate.
Unfortunately I do not think we are going to rewind the clock and undo all the modern advancements in technology, so we are stuck with social media and whatever will replace it whether we like it or not. So for those who are going to use it there are some guidelines from the word of God in regards to communication that we must apply to whatever form of communication that we choose to use.
Questions you should ask yourself about your communication on social media?
1) Is it Self Denial or Self Promotion (1 Peter 5:5 vs. Proverbs 16:18)
- So much of social media today is simply look at me, look at me. If we look at the word of God for a guide to our communication as well as for our lifestyle we should not be a look at me kind of person.
- Note both statements in Proverbs 29:23.
- If you or what you are doing is the center of everything you post then there is a problem somewhere. Imagine if when you talked with someone in person and all they ever did is tell you all about themselves and what they have done, and never asking you anything or engaging you in the conversation. That is really not communicating. It is just self-promotion.
- When you think about it the majority of social media is self-promotion. No wonder our society has become totally self-absorbed.
2) Does it promote True Identity (Luke 24:17)
- The verse with this point might seem strange but the reason the disciples were having sad communication was because they were sad. Your conversation says a lot about you.
- When it comes to the internet and social media many people portray themselves as someone totally different online verses in real life. For instance many people will say things or do things online that they would never say or do in person. Then there are other who are using social media to escape from the real world.
- Andrew Brown said, “The internet is so big, so powerful, and so pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life”.
- The question that you must ask yourself is would anyone know that you are a saved person if all they had to go on is what you post on social media.
- What is the majority of the material that you post about worldly stuff or spiritual stuff (Matthew 12:34).
- If people do know that you are saved would your social media content be a stumbling block for other saved people (1 Corinthians 8:13).
3) Who and what do you follow (1 Corinthians 15:33)
- We must remember that communication is twofold. It is not just all about what you post it is also about what you read or listen to from others.
- Just as we have to be careful about the influences of music or television, social media can be even worse because it is real people and we can be influenced with as much bad as good.
4) Is it a good use of my time (Ephesians 5:16)
- Because it is so convenient to have our phones with us at all times I do not think people realize how much time they actually spend viewing and participating in social media.
- You cannot go anywhere today that people are not on their phones constantly. Whether it is at a restaurant, in line at the store, or even at church. Many places of employment have had to ban cell phone use during business hours.
- Many people simply cannot put it down it is the first thing they do in the morning and the last thing that they are doing at night. If this is you look at (1 Corinthians 6:12).
- The question that you have to ask yourself is how does my time with God compare to my time with the internet or social media?
- Benjamin Franklin said, “Time is the stuff that life is made of, don’t squander it”.
5) Is it done to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31)
- In reality this verse should guide everything we do whether it is social media, hobbies, church etc.
- The real question is can it be done for the Glory of God?
Social Media and Modern Day Communication : Handout
1) What are the most common forms of communication used today?
2) What are some of the questions that we should ask ourselves in regards to our social media?
3) What is the real question that should guide everything in our lives? Give a reference.