How To Show That We Love Church Ps. 84 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
In this Psalm the author is describing how aimable God’s tabernacle was. The word aimable means lovely or worthy of love. Now I realize that this is a reference to the Old Testament Tabernacle, but for this sermon we will use this as a type of the church.
What is a church?
A church is a called out assembly. In Acts 7:38-39 we see Israel as a called out assembly connected with a church in the wilderness. Now the purpose of the Tabernacle was for God to be able to dwell with his called out people (Exodus 25:8).
As a result of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ the church is also a term used for the body of Christ (Ephesians 1:22-23). By being born again and baptized by the Holy Spirit a saved person in the church age is in the body of Jesus Christ.
The word church can also apply to a local church as it does in the book of Revelation chapter 2-3 and many other places in the New Testament.
How to show that we love church:
1) Be glad about going (verse 2)
- If we had the passion about church and worshipping God that the author of the Psalm had in verse 2 our church services would be a lot different today.
- Note the blessing connected with this in verses 3-4. The young ones have a place, which is at the altar by the way and we see a reference to peace and security in the words “still praising thee”.
2) By Giving to it (verse 6)
- In this verse we see that those going through the valley of Baca make it a well. When you are in the valley is the best time to give. You can dig a well for those who will come through the valley after you or you may need it the next time you are in the valley.
- We are not just talking about giving money. We are really talking about investing yourself into the ministry of the church.
- Note the passage on giving in 2 Corinthians 8:1-5,12 ; 9:6-8.
- The benefits are; going from strength to strength, answered prayer (verses7-8).
3) Get involved (verse 10)
- We do not mean that you have to become a teacher or even have an official position in the church. Just get involved attend special meeting and bible studies, trips or activities at the church, workdays, etc.
- Note the author said he would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of God than to dwell in the tent of wickedness. This is the attitude we need.
- The blessing is the more involved you are with the things of God the less likely you are to get in to the wrong kind of things.
4) Make Jesus Christ the center of everything (verse 11)
- The Sun is the center of all our planets and everything revolves around the sun. In Malachi 4:2 Jesus is referred to as the Sun.
- When Jesus is not the center of everything then the focus will be on the buildings and the material things of the church (Matthew 24:1-2 ; Mark 13:1-2 ; Hosea 8:14)
Now as a result of the new birth and being baptized into the body of Jesus Christ we have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us. Therefore we are the temple of the Holy Ghost (1 Corinthians 6:19). So really when we reverse these points to ourselves it becomes how can we show that we love God.
1) Be Glad and desire fellowship with him (verse 2)
2) Give and invest ourselves in him (verse 6)
3) Get involved daily with him (verse 10)
4) Make Jesus Christ the center of your life (verse 11)
We did not mention the blessing connected with making Jesus the center of your life in the above part but take note of it here. No good thing will he withhold from them who walk uprightly. It will be a lot easier to walk uprightly if he is the center of our life.