A Man is Only as Good as His Word Prov. 20: 6 Heb. 13:8 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
In this lesson we are going to look at the verse in Hebrews that deals with Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever. This verse is misapplied by many today to try and prove that they can do the signs and miracles that Jesus and the Apostles did when they were in sent out by him. But that is not the context of the verse. The context deals with following someone’s faith and then it gives the example of Jesus Christ. As part of the introduction we are also looking at the verse in Proverbs that says a faith man who can find. Jesus Christ is the answer to that proverb and we can follow him without worry of being misled.
How Jesus was not the same yesterday, today and forever:
1) He was born as a baby but he did not stay a baby forever.
2) His message changed depending upon who he was talking to and when he was talking (Matthew 10:5-6 and Matthew 28:19-20)
3) When he came the first time he was offered as a lamb for the sin of the world, when he comes the second time he will be the lion of the tribe of Judah who destroys the anti-christ and his armies at the battle of Armageddon.
So from these it is plain to see that the verse cannot be taken out of the context and applied literally to Jesus Christ always being the same.
How Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever:
He is totally faithful and his word is true. With this thought let us consider the connection between Jesus Christ and the word of God.
1) Jesus in Creation (John 1:1-3 with Hebrews 11:1-3)
2) The word of God in the Old Testament (2 Peter 1:21)
3) The word became flesh (John 1:14)
4) Jesus is still the word of God when he returns at the Second Advent (Revelation 19:13)
What does this mean for Us?
1) With Jesus Christ as our example our word, testimony, and actions should all agree (Revelation 1:2 with Revelation 19:10)
2) Since we are saved by the word (1 Peter 1:23) and it is the word that will work in us if we believe (1 Thessalonians 2:13) then for our word, testimony, and actions to agree then we must have faith in God’s word and follow it (Romans 10:17).