Creation Lesson #9
Results of Sin Continued (Genesis 3:14-24)
In this lesson we are going to continue looking at the results of Adam and Eve’s sin. As we stated last time these results still affect us today. In the previous lesson we saw what happened to Adam and Eve spiritually. We also saw why man today is a sinner and how that he must be born again.
In this lesson we will look at some of the other things that happen to Adam and Eve physically as a result of their sin and also we will see how that because of this sin Jesus Christ must come to save the world.
Verse 14 :
Satan is addressed first and the serpent is cursed.
- Note that Serpent is said to be cursed above all cattle, and every beast of the field.
- The Serpent is said to eat dust all the days of his life. Physically a snake eats dust but in a spiritual sense Satan devours us (1 Peter 5:8) and we are dust.
- In the Millennial Reign of the Lord Jesus Christ the curse on the earth is lifted but the curse on the serpent is not. (Isaiah 65:25)
Verse 15 :
This is one of the great prophetic verses of the Bible. Notice that the verse says that God will put enmity between the serpent’s seed and the seed of the woman. One might say what is so special about that.
- It means Satan has a seed. This will eventually be the anti-christ.
- But since the woman has no seed (remember that in reproduction the seed comes from the man) then we see a reference to the one who destroys Satan as having a special birth.
- Isaiah prophesied that a virgin would give birth (Isaiah 7:14) and that prophesy was fulfilled in Matthew 1:18-25 and Luke 1:26- 2:20.
- Isaiah was prophesying about Jesus Christ being virgin born. So here we see the first prophesy concerning the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Satan bruised Jesus’ heel at Calvary (1st Advent).
- Jesus will bruise Satan’s head at the 2n Advent. Psalms 68:17-21 ; Jeremiah 23:19 ; Habakkuk 3:13 ; Romans 16:20
Verse 16 :
In this verse we see God address Eve in regards to her further punishment concerning the sin.
- The woman’s sorrow and her conception are multiplied. There is great sorrow physically and emotionally when a woman conceives and gives birth. The conception being multiplied could reference more than one baby, but even today natural twins are not near as common a single baby birth. It probably means that after the sin a woman could get conceive more times during the year. This would make sense since people would now be dying because of sin, therefore conception would need to be more frequent to populate the earth.
- Notice her desire is to be to thy husband and he will rule over her. Most new bibles change “to thy husband” to “for thy husband”. This is clearly not the same thing. The husband is to be in charge of the home. (1 Corinthians 11:3) and when this is not the case there will not be peace nor will it operate as it should no matter what the world says.
Verses 17-19 :
Here we see the punishment for Adam but also as a result of the sin the earth is cursed.
- The ground is cursed for Adam’s sake.
- Man now has to work to eat. This is still found in the New Testament. (2 Thessalonians 3:10)
- The earth produced thorns and thistle as a result of the curse.
- Man will die and return to dust. (Romans 5:12)
Verse 20-21 :
It is Adam that names his wife Eve. God called their name Adam. Genesis 5:2
We have already commented on verse 21 in the previous lesson. The animal was most likely a Lamb (Proverbs 27:26). Also we see from this verse that God requires BLOOD for sin which is why you cannot work your way to heaven.
Verses 22-23 :
Adam and Eve are removed from the Garden of Eden and God placed cherubims, and a flaming sword to keep Adam and Eve from getting back to the tree of life.
Creation Lesson #9 (Genesis 3:14-24)
1) What is significant about the serpent being told that he would eat dust all the days of his life?
2) Give a reference showing that the curse on the serpent will not be lifted during the Millennial Reign of the Lord Jesus Christ.
3) What is verse in the Bible is the first prophetic reference to the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ?
4) Why is it significant that verse 15 says “her seed” in regards to the seed of the woman?
5) When does Satan bruise Jesus’ heel?
6) When does Jesus bruise Satan’s head? Give references.
7) List the results of sin for the woman.
8) List the results of sin for the man.
9) Why does God block the way to the tree of life from Adam and Eve?