What Can You Do in Hell Luke 16:19-31 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
What can you do in Hell?
There are many that do not even believe in a place called Hell. But the fact is that Jesus spoke of hell more than he did heaven. If you think about it there cannot be a place called heaven if there is no place called hell the Word of God plainly speaks of both. There are no errors in the word of God and it is true from the beginning therefore if heaven exists then hell would also have to exist.
For those who do believe in hell, there are many different opinions as to what you can do in hell. Some think it will be a party some think it will be darkness but in the passage for this message we will see exactly what goes on in hell.
What part of man goes to Hell?
Before we can see what goes on in hell we must understand what part of the man goes to hell. The answer to this question is the Soul of man is what goes to hell.
1) Man has a Body, a Soul, and a Spirit (Genesis 2:7 ; 1 Thessalonians 5:23)
- In Genesis 2:7 we see the phrase “living soul” whether you realize it or not your soul lives forever, your flesh may die but your soul lives forever.
2) The Soul and the Spirit of man is not the same thing (Hebrews 4:12)
- They can be divided between there for they are not the same.
3) Look at the example of Jesus when he died (Luke 23:27-53)
- Jesus’ body went in the tomb (verse 52-53). Our bodies go back to dust (Genesis 3:19).
- Jesus’ spirit went back to God (verse 46). The spirit of a man whether saved or lost goes back to God (Ecclesiastes 12:7)
- Jesus soul went to paradise which was in the heart of the earth (verse 43 and Matthew 12:40) Jesus’ soul also went to hell (Acts 2:25-31) Our soul today goes to heaven or hell depending on whether or not you are saved or lost.
What exactly is the soul?
The best way to describe the soul is to say that it is the real you. Your flesh is like clothing for the soul. If you remove your clothes you are still you. If you remove your flesh which is what happens at death you are still you.
1) In the Old Testament the soul was stuck to the flesh (Leviticus 5:1-17)
2) As a result of salvation in the church age and the process called spiritual circumcision (Colossians 2:9-11) God divides between the soul and the flesh and the soul is sealed unto the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30).
3) The soul has a bodily form (Luke 16:19-31)
4) Compare Mark 8:34-37 with Luke 9:23-26 to see that the soul is the real you.
What can you do in Hell?
Now that we know what part of man goes to hell and what exactly the soul is, let us look at some things a soul can do in hell.
1) Suffer Torment with no relief (verses 23-25)
- If will be hard to party or have a good time when you are in agonizing pain 24/7 with no relief in sight.
2) Remember everything (verse 25)
- Can you imagine remembering every opportunity that you had to get saved and rejected Jesus Christ?
3) Desire for no one else to join you (verse 28)
- The sad thing about this desire is that it will be too late for you to do anything about it.
4) Beg and pray (verses 24,27)
- There are many prayers offered in hell but it is too late and God does not answer them. We see an example of this in Proverbs 1:22-29.
Now that you have seen what you can do in hell why would you still want to go there? You do not have to you can simply acknowledge you sin before God and ask him to save you and he will (Romans 10:9-13) and you can avoid this place of torment.