Three things that the Holy Ghost Does for the World
In this passage Jesus Christ is teaching the apostles about the coming of the Holy Ghost and how he must leave before the Holy Ghost can come. The section of the passage that we will deal with teaches us about the work of the Holy Ghost in regards to the world. The Holy Ghost does many things especially for saved people, but in this lesson we will focus on the three things for which he reproves the world.
In verses 7-11 we see that the Holy Spirit reproves the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment. There is also an explanation for each of these judgments. He reproves the world of sin because they believe not on the Lord Jesus Christ. He reproves the world of righteousness because Jesus goes to his father, and he reproves the world of judgment because the prince of this world is judged. In looking at each one of the explanations we can learn a specific aspect in regards to salvation and why the Holy Ghost reproves of these three things.
Work of the Holy Ghost in regards to the world :
1) He reproves the world of sin, because they believe not on Jesus Christ (verse 9)
- As a result of Adam’s sin everyone is born with a sin problem (Romans 3:23, 5:12)
- The result of this problem is death (Romans 6:23 ; James 1:14,15)
- The cure for sin and death is found in the Lord Jesus Christ, you must simple believe on him and trust his finished work alone for your salvation (John 3:16-18 ; Romans 10:9-13)
- It is amazing that people will refuse to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation. They are so set on trying to earn their way to heaven or trusting some religion instead of Jesus Christ.
2) He reproves the world of righteousness, because Jesus went to his father (verse 10)
- Jesus had just said in verse 7 that he had to go away for the Holy Ghost to come. This also shows us that his sacrifice for sin was accepted by God (Hebrews 9:11-15).
- When the Holy Ghost came it showed that Jesus was now with the father in heaven. This teaches us that Jesus was righteous because God accepted his sacrifice for sin.
- Therefore if we are going to make it to heaven we must have the righteousness of Jesus Christ, and this is just what we get through salvation in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).
3) He reproves the world of judgment because the prince of this world is judged (verse 11)
- Satan was judged on Calvary but his sentence has not been carried out yet. But it will and he will be cast into the Lake of fire (Matthew 25:41).
- Even though the Lake of Fire was prepared for Satan and his angels that is also the same destination for those who refuse Jesus Christ as their savior. (Revelation 20:15)
The Holy Ghost reproves the world of these things and the explanations show us some simple truths about salvation. If you want to have the righteousness of Jesus Christ you must believe on him and trust his work and not your own. If you refuse you are like Satan and are judged already (John 3:18).
Three things that the Holy Ghost does for the World (John 16:7-11)
1) What is the context of the passage for this lesson?
2) What are the three things that the Holy Ghost is said to do in verses 7-11?
3) What are the explanations that Jesus gives for the Holy Ghost doing these things?