How to Suffer Persecution as a Saved Person
2 Timothy 3:12
In this lesson we are going to look at the subject of being persecuted for living a godly life. The text for our lesson tells us that if we live for the Lord Jesus Christ in this world we will suffer persecution. Therefore if you are saved and never persecuted then you have to ask yourself am I really living a godly life.
We use the verse in 2nd Timothy because it tells us that we are going to suffer but we will look primarily at the book of 1 Peter for the rest of the lesson to see how we can suffer persecution and remain faithful to the Lord Jesus Christ.
The first thing we have to realize is that it is normal to suffer persecution and that we are in good company when we do.
- One of the things that Satan and the world wants you to do as a Christian is to feel alone and out of place. Many times we feel that no one else goes through what we go through or suffers like us but we are not alone.
- In 1 Peter 4:12 we are told not to think our fiery trial strange. It happens to anyone who lives for the Lord and not the world.
- Also something very important for us to understand is that Jesus Christ is our example and he suffered showing us that we should also suffer (1 Peter 2:20-21)
The next thing we have to realize is that there are some benefits that can be found in suffering for living a godly life. We will list these benefits below:
1) It connects us with the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Peter 4:12-19)
- As we stated above Jesus Christ is our example and when we suffer for him we are connected with him. And there is no greater person that you could be connected with.
- Jesus suffered for being right and sometimes we will suffer also when we are in the right, remember that it is always easier to do wrong than it is to do right. So when we suffer for being in the right we should take it patiently just as Jesus did (1 Peter 2:20).
2) It becomes an opportunity to witness for the Lord (1 Peter 3:12-17)
- One way it which it gives us an opportunity to do witness is that someone is always watching us and when we make a stand for Jesus and suffer for but remain faithful it has an effect on other people.
- Another way is that many times people may ask you why do you suffer for the Lord, or why do you endure suffer and persecution. Then you have the perfect opportunity to tell them about the Lord Jesus Christ.
3) It teaches us to trust God (1 Peter 4:19)
- When we suffer for living godly the only one we can trust in for help is the Lord. But every time we faithfully endure persecution for the Lord we learn to trust him more. And the next time we suffer it is a little easier to make it through
4) It brings Glory to God (1 Peter 4:14)
- When we stand up against the temptation of the devil and this world it brings honor and glory to God. This should be the goal of every saved person’s life, to bring honor and glory to God.
- The next time we are suffering for Jesus sake remember that it is glorifying to God.
5) It brings us glory in the future (1 Peter 4:13)
- When Jesus comes it will be great if he finds us faithfully suffering for his name sake. But if we give in and live worldly we must ask ourselves, is that the way we want him to find us when he comes?
How do we handle the persecution :
1) Think about Jesus as our example (1 Peter 4:1)
- If we keep our mind set on the Lord Jesus Christ it will be much easier to handle the persecution when it comes. Remember he suffered leaving us an example.
2) Trust God (1 Peter 4:19)
- Remember that Jesus is our example and he committed himself to the one who judges righteously. We should do the same thing simply put our trust in God and let him work it out for us.
3) Realize that you are not alone (1 Peter 4:12)
- We talked about this earlier. When we feel that we are all alone we will want to quit and give up the fight. But remembering that we are not alone will help us to endure the persecution and trust God to deliver us.
4) Think about the future (1 Peter 4:13-14)
- One of the ways to endure persecution is to remember that it will one day cease and be over. But what we have done for Jesus will last forever (2 Corinthians 4:18)
Remember saved person the Lord suffered the cross for us it is the least we can do to suffer a little persecution for him from time to time.
How to Suffer Persecution as a Saved Person : Handout
(2 Timothy 3:12)
1) What is the first thing that we must do when we are faced with persecution for living Godly?
2) Who is our example for suffering? Give references for your answer.
3) What are the benefits for suffering as a Christian? Give a reference for each one.
4) List for ways with scripture for each one that will show us how to deal with suffering persecution.