A Study in 2 Thessalonians : Introduction
In this study we will go through the book of Second Thessalonians. It will not be a verse by verse study of the book but instead will look at many of the verses and teaching that are found throughout the book. In the book of Second Thessalonians Paul is addressing the Thessalonians in regards to their persecution and also comforting them in regards to the last days.
Basic information for 2 Thessalonians:
Author : Paul Date : A.D. 52-53
Chapters : 3 Verses : 47 Words : 1022
Thessalonica was originally called “Therme” and was made the capitol of Macedonia in 164 B.C. by the Romans. The Romans built a great highway through Thessalonica. Paul had been to this place and preached the gospel. Many had received the word of God and began serving God (1:5-10 ; 2:13). As shown in the first few verses of chapter one the Thessalonians are being persecuted and Paul is comforting by reminding them that the Lord Jesus Christ will return and judge those who are persecuting them.
Paul also shows them some important details concerning the last days and the Day of Christ. We will look at these things in detail during this study. In this lesson we will focus on some signs that show us we are in the latter days and how we can make a spiritual application to our own lives.
Sign of the Last Days :
1) Matthew 24:1-7 (Here Jesus gives signs concerning his coming and the end of the world)
- Many will come in Jesus’ name claiming to be him and deceive many.
- There will be wars and rumors of wars.
- There will be famines, pestilence and earthquakes in divers places.
These sign are said to precede the second coming of Jesus Christ. Remembering that the rapture of the church happens 7 years prior to the second coming then we can see we are living in the latter days.
2) 2 Timothy 3:1-7 (Here Paul gives things that shall come in the last days)
- Perilous times shall come (verse 1)
- Men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy (verse 2)
- People will be without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good (verse 3)
- They will be traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God (verse 4)
- They will have a form of Godliness, but deny the power thereof (verse 5)
- They are ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of truth (verse 7)
We are seeing these characteristics in mankind more today than ever before once again showing us that we are in the last days.
3) 2 Peter 3:3-5 (Here Peter gives some signs for the last days)
- There will be scoffers walking after their own lust.
- They will say that Jesus is not coming back.
- The will be ignorant concerning creation.
In this we see the attitude of many professors and college students today. They are consumed with their own lust and they talk and live as if Jesus is never coming again. And not only do they believe that evolution and the big bang is true, they ridicule anyone who opposes what they believe.
The spiritual application for us today :
From these signs given to us from the word of God it is plain to see we are in the last days. This should encourage anyone who is saved to stop wasting time and get busy doing something for God. The closer we get to the second coming of Jesus Christ the less time we have to do something for him. Think about it this way if someone told you for certain that the world would end tomorrow would you waste time sleeping tonight?
A Study in 2 Thessalonians
Introduction : Handout
1) What are the basic statistics for the book of 2 Thessalonians?
2) Give a little history concerning the city of Thessalonica.
3) What is the basic subject matter for the book of 2 Thessalonians?
4) What are some signs from the word of God showing us that we are in the latter days?
5) How can we apply the subject matter of this epistle to us today?