Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth : The Covenants Lesson #3
In this lesson we will continue looking at the Covenants found in the word of God and also finish the study on the Covenants. Here we are going to look at the Mosaic Covenant, the Palestinian Covenant, the Davidic Covenant and the new Covenant.
The Fifth Covenant : (Exodus 20 –Deuteronomy)
This covenant is called the Mosaic covenant because this is where God gives the Law to Moses and the Children of Israel accept the law. The law itself has over 600 commandments found in it. Under the law we see the 10 commandments which are given in Exodus 20, but when one studies the books of Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy you will find many more commandments that just the 10 given in Exodus. This covenant also contains all the ordinances and regulations for building the tabernacle, how to worship and sacrifice under the law, and the guidelines for the different feast that Israel would have to partake of throughout the year.
This covenant differs from the others we have seen because here God is dealing specifically with one nation, the nation of Israel and by this we mean the 12 tribes of Israel that came from Jacob.
This covenant would be said to be conditional because as we see in the New Testament we are no longer under the law. It is true that Israel will go back under the law during the tribulation but when Jesus comes at the 2nd Advent he will set up what is called the New Covenant with Israel and will we discuss this covenant at the end of this lesson.
The next two Covenants are given while the fifth covenant is still in effect. They do not change or take away from the fifth covenant they go along with it.
The Sixth Covenant : (Deuteronomy 30:1-10)
This covenant is called the Palestinian Covenant. Please do not confuse this with the definition for Palestinian today. We are not talking about a group of people in the middle east of today. The reason we call this the Palestinian Covenant is because it deals with the Jew living and prospering in the land of what is referred to as Palestine.
We saw that under the Abrahamic Covenant that God promised the land to Abraham, then Isaac, and then to Jacob. This promise given to Abraham is unconditional and Israel is going to dwell in that land because of this promise which will be totally fulfilled in the millennium.
Therefore what we have under this covenant is conditions for God blessing them in the land or God cursing them in the land. In Deuteronomy 28 & 29 we see God telling the nation of Israel that if they do right he will bless them in the land and if they do wrong he will curse them in the land. Also Israel is warned that if they turn against God he will drive them out of the land. This is exactly what happened in the Old Testament with the Jews going into captivity in Assyria and Babylon. Then we see it again in history after the Jews reject the Lord Jesus Christ God disperses them all over the world.
But in Deuteronomy 30:1-10 we see a promise of God returning them to the land and this literally started with Israel becoming a nation for the first time in over 2000 years in 1948. Even though Israel has been driven out of the land the promise of them having the land given to Abraham still stands and one day in the near future they will have it.
The Seventh Covenant : (2 Samuel 7:1-14)
This Covenant is called the Davidic Covenant because it deals with the fact of David and his seed reigning forever. Now David is promised here that his seed will reign on his throne forever. This is a promise that is directly talking about the Lord Jesus Christ. This is why is it said that he will sit on the throne of his father David (Luke 1:30-33).
After Solomon God did rend the kingdom of Israel and divided it into the 2 tribes, which are referred to as Judah, and the 10 northern tribes which are referred to as Israel. After the captivities Israel has no king. This is why when Jesus shows up the disciples continually want to know when he is going to set up his kingdom. When he returns at the 2nd Advent he will then set up his kingdom and he will reign on the throne of David, and this covenant will also be fulfilled in the millennium as the Palestinian Covenant is.
The Eighth Covenant : (Hebrews 8:7-13)
As we see in the passage of Hebrews this Covenant is called the New Covenant. Note that in the context of this passage we see that this Covenant is being compared to another covenant and the covenant it is being compared to is the 5th Covenant called the Mosiac Covenant. Below we will list what is found in the passage concerning this Covenant.
What is found in this Covenant :
1) It is made with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah (Verse 8)
- Remember after God took the kingdom from Solomon the nation Israel was divided into these two groups. Therefore this Covenant is to be given to the entire nation of Israel.
2) It replaces the covenant God made with them originally called the Mosaic (Verses 7-9)
3) God says that he will put his laws into their mind and in their hearts (Verse 10)
4) God says that he will be to a God and they will be to him a people (Verse 10)
5) There will be no need for evangelism or teachings for all will know God (Verse 11)
- Remember that Jesus will be reigning on the earth for all to see. Also this has an application to the Salvation of Israel at the 2nd Advent (Romans 11:26-27)
6) God says he will be merciful to their unrighteousness and their sins and iniquities he will
remember no more (Verse 12)
When Jesus Christ comes back at the 2nd Advent he will set up his millennial reign and this New Covenant will be in effect.
In this study we have seen 8 Covenants that God made with man or either the nation of Israel these are to be studied along side of the divisions which are earlier in this series.
Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth : The Covenants Lesson #3
1) What is the name of the 5th Covenant and where is it found in the word of God?
2) What type of Covenant is the 5th covenant?
3) Who is this covenant dealing with directly?
4) What are some of the things found in this Covenant?
5) What is the name of the 6th Covenant and where is it found in the word of God?
6) What type of Covenant is the 6th Covenant?
7) What is this Covenant dealing with?
8) What is the name of the 7th Covenant and where is it found in the word of God?
6) What type of Covenant is the 7th Covenant?
7) Who and what is this Covenant dealing with?
8) What is the name of the 8th Covenant and where is it found in the word of God?
9) Who is this Covenant given to ?
10) What are some of the things found under this Covenant?