What was Jesus Made for Us
(1 Corinthians 1:26-31)
In this lesson we are going to look at four things Jesus Christ was made for us. In verse 30 Jesus is said to be made wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption for us. With these four things we will see that Jesus is Christ is all that we have and all that we could ever need.
The people of the church of Corinth were disputing among themselves as to who was better based on who had baptized them. (1 Corinthians 1:11-17). Paul tells them that it is not important who had baptized them because it is really all about Jesus Christ.
Four things Jesus was made for us :
For the purpose of this lesson we are going to take the four things that Jesus was said to be made for us and put them in a different order than they are given in the verse.
1) Jesus was made Righteousness for us (2 Corinthians 5:21)
- From the moment that Adam sinned in the garden of Eden, man has had a problem with being right in the sight of God. This is why Jesus Christ had to come because man on his own could never be righteous.
- The word of God says that all our righteousness is as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). Therefore without the righteousness of Jesus Christ we would always be unrighteous in the eyes of God.
2) Jesus was made Redemption for us (1 Peter 1:18-19)
- Redemption means to buy back. God had created man but he had been lost as the result of sin. Jesus Christ came and paid the penalty for sin.
- That price was the blood of God (Acts 20:28). The blood is the only thing that can cover our sins and redeem us in the eyes of God.
- Without Jesus Christ being made Redemption for us there is nothing we could do own our own to redeem ourselves.
3) Jesus was made Sanctification for us (Psalm 4:3)
- The process of Sanctification is where we are set apart for God use. When we are saved we are automatically set apart from the world because we are children of God. But God wants to use us.
- To be used of God we must allow Jesus Christ to work in us and through us. Our part is to keep our vessel as a vessel that God can use (1 Thessalonians 4:1-7).
- What we must realize is that if Jesus does accomplish something using us it is not us at all but him working in us.
4) Jesus was made Wisdom for us (Proverbs 8-9)
- In Proverbs chapters 8 and 9 wisdom is personified, and from some of the verses it is plain to see that it has to be Jesus Christ.
- The word of God also tells us that the beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord (Psalm 111:10.
- Therefore if we have any knowledge or wisdom it will come from Jesus Christ and we should not think highly of ourselves as a result of it.
From these things that Jesus was made for us we learn that really we are nothing on our own. Without Jesus Christ we could not have righteousness, we would have no means of redeeming ourselves, we would not be sanctified and be able to work for God, nor would we have the wisdom to accomplish anything on our own. So let us not be like the Corinthians and think highly of ourselves but realize that all we have or all could ever be is based in Jesus Christ.
What was Jesus Made for Us : Handout
(1 Corinthians 1:26-31)
1) What is the context of the passage for this lesson?
2) What are the four things that Jesus is said to be made for us in verse 30?
3) Give an outline showing how Jesus is made these four things for us.
4) How can we apply these things to our lives today?