Is Music Really That Important (Part 2)
In the previous lesson we ended by looking at the kind of music that word of God shows us we should be listening to. This music was found in Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16. The music for us today is Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual songs. Also in the previous lesson we showed the lines of music down through the word of God and how Satan was connected with music and that worldly music is usually connected with sin, such as drunkenness and nakedness. In this lesson we are going to look more at the impact music can have on us spiritually and why we were given the 3 types of music for us to listen to according to the word of God.
Man is a Spiritual Being :
The first thing to realize is that man was created with a body, soul and a spirit (1Thessalonians 5:23). This means that we are spiritual creatures in one sense. Therefore there will be things that affect our spirit.
- Proverbs 15:13 (Sorrow of Heart affects the spirit)
- Proverbs 16:18 (Pride affects the spirit)
- Proverbs 17:22 (Broken spirit can affect your health)
- Proverbs 18:14 (Wounded spirit who can bear)
From this list we see that we must be very careful with things that affect our spirit, and this is especially true after Salvation.
Music affects the Spirit :
In 1 Samuel 16:14-23 we see that Saul is troubled by an evil spirit from the Lord. The temporary solution for this was to find someone who could play a harp to come and comfort or sooth Saul. David was chosen and when the spirit came upon Saul, David would play with his harp. Note the affect of the music that David played.
“And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him”.
This one verse alone should be enough to convince us on how important music really is; if David’s playing could drive away the evil spirit and refresh Saul it is plain to see that music has an enormous impact on us. This is why Proverbs says that he that singeth songs to someone with a heavy heart is likened unto one that taketh away the garment in cold weather (Proverbs 25:20).
Now we must also consider the opposite of this. If the right kind of music can drive away evil spirits and have a positive impact on our lives, then the wrong kind of music (like worldly music) can invite evil spirits and have a negative impact on our spirits. Once again we must be very careful of what kind of music we listen to.
Music is need to help our spirit :
Now going back to Colossians 3:10-17 we will see the positive affect that the right kind of music can have on our spirits and help us to grow and worship God in the right manner
- The new man is renewed in the knowledge of him that created him (verse 10)
- We are to put on bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, and longsuffering (verse 12)
- We are to forgive one another (verse 13)
- We are to on charity (verse 14)
- We are to let the peace of God rule in our hearts (verse 15)
- We are to let the word of God dwell in us teaching and admonishing with Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs (verse 16)
- We are to do everything in the name of Jesus Christ (verse 17)
Here we see that the purpose of good Godly music will be to teach and admonish us, help us to have the fruit of the Spirit of God, put on the new man instead of the old man, forgive one another and glorify God.
If you are having trouble with these and you are constantly influenced by worldly or bad music there may be a connection. Remember music is extremely important to our spirit.
Is Music Really That Important (Part 2)
1) What are the three types of music that we should listen to according to the word of God?
2) Why is it important to consider that we are spiritual creatures?
3) Give an example of music affecting the spirit of someone in the word of God.
4) What can good music do for us as shown in Colossians 3:10-16?