Facing Death Prov.14:32 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
People have a hard time facing death. Oftentimes, even Christians have a difficult time facing death. So, we want to search the scriptures to find encouragement for this inevitable time in our lives. When you are, or a loved one is, facing death, if you are saved, remember these simple truths. When facing death:
You have nothing to fear – Ps 23:4 – David said, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me.” There is nothing to fear because the Lord is right there with you. In Matt 10:28 the Lord told his disciples not to fear them which kill the body. They cannot get your soul. And even death will not be able to retain your body. According to 1 Thes 4:16-17 your body will be resurrected and glorified at the rapture [1 Cor 15:50-57; Phil 3:21]. Praise the Lord!!
You have hope – Prov 14:32 – the righteous hath hope in his death. Your hope is based upon these facts:
- Your work on earth is done – Rev 14:13; Jn 19:30; 2 Tim 4:6-7
- As soon as you are absent from your body you are present with the Lord – 2 Cor 5:8
- You will live forever eternally with God – Rom 6:23; Jn 3:36
- You will be reunited with your loved ones who were saved – 1 Thes 4:16-18
You have gain – Phil 1:21 – Paul said, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” Your gain comes from the fact that:
- You will get to see your Saviour face to face – Job 19:25-27; 1 Cor 13:12
- You will never suffer again – Rev 21:2-4; Ps 90:10
- You will move into your mansion – Jn 14:1-3
- You will receive your eternal inheritance – Eph 1:11-14
- You will be rewarded for your service to the Lord – Col 3:24; 2 Tim 4:8
- If you suffered with Christ, you will also reign with him – Rom 8:16-18; 2 Tim 2:12
But, your loved ones will have sorrow – 1 Thes 4:13 – they won’t sorrow in the same way as those who have no hope; but they will sorrow, nonetheless. Just look at the sorrow Paul avoided when Epaphroditus was healed of his sickness [Phil 2:26-27]. Even Paul, who died daily, would have sorrowed at the death of his co-laborer. Though we have hope and are absolutely certain of eternal life, we miss our loved ones who depart before us. Their death brings sorrow. But, thanks be to God, this sorrow is only temporary. In time, the grief subsides and in the future we will be together again!!
Conclusion: When facing death, as a saved person, rejoice in the promises that the Lord has given us. And if you are facing death without Christ, please receive him. It is never too late to get saved. And oh, what joy, at knowing that you have escaped hell through the shed blood of your Saviour, Jesus Christ. Thanks be to God!