A Tamed Tongue
The Bible says “the tongue can no man tame”. But scripture definitely encourages us to try to have a tamed tongue. Most of the trouble that I get myself into is due to an unruly tongue. [Prov.17:28] states: “he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.” It’s hard to live your life with your mouth closed!
Choice Tongue [Prov.10:20] the “just” shall have such a tongue.
- [Rom.1:17] “The just shall live by faith” that’s you!
- “as choice silver” Today silver is graded from “fine” to “coin”, but meat is graded as choice; there is prime, choice, and select. [Rom.12:1-2] identifies three wills of God, good, acceptable and perfect. Acceptable would match up with choice and is “reasonable”. We should be able to tame it down to acceptable.
Wise Tongue [Prov.15:2] he knows what to say and how and when to say it.
- [Prov.15:23] in due season, the right timing, what a joy!
- [Prov.25:11] like apples of gold in pictures of silver, a perfect fit!
Wholesome Tongue [Prov.15:4] is a tree of life (healthy)
- Promotes wholesome advice, doctrines, and truths, to help others
Kind Tongue [Prov.31:26] kindness rules
- Unlike in James chapter 3
- Purpose to build up not tear down [Eph.4:29], to edify others
Confessing Tongue [Phil.2:11] “that Jesus Christ is Lord”
- A requirement to be “just” [Rom.10:9-10]
- A requirement to stay in fellowship [1 John1:9]
- A requirement at the judgement [Rom.14:11] “shall give account”
- A requirement of a witness [Acts 1:8], to tell others
Scriptural Tongue [Ps.119:172] “shall speak of thy word”
- [Deu.6:6-7] they should be part of your daily conversation, should be a natural response.
Taught Tongue [Jer.1:4-9] given by God to be given to others
- [Deu.6:7] teach them to thy children [Deu.4:9-10] seen and heard
- [2 Tim.2:2] teach others also