Lasciviousness Mark 7:22 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
Referenced – the word appears six times in Bible:
- Mk 7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
- 2 Cor 12:21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed. With v. 20 – you get in their face about this and they will fight you back
- Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, – they are manifest – others can see these
- Eph 4:19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
- 1 Pet 4:3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 1 Pet 4:1-5 is an excellent passage [below]
- Jude 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. Context v. 3 cross ref to 2 Pet 2:18-21
Defined – “Lascivious” = preoccupied with or exhibiting lustful desires – wanton, lewd – driven by lust – tending to produce voluptuous or lewd emotions.· Wanton = untrained, undisciplined, unrestrained, hence, loose, free – deviating from the rules of chastity, wandering from moral rectitude [= straightness, rightness of principle or practice, exact conformity to truth, or to the rules prescribed for moral conduct, either by divine or human laws; uprightness of mind; uprightness; integrity; honesty; justice] – a wanton is one brought up without restraint· Lewd = suggestive of or tending to moral looseness, given to promiscuous indulgence of lusto Promiscuous = consisting of individuals united in a body or mass without order – indiscriminate· Voluptuous = Full of delight or pleasure, especially that of the senses; ministering to sensuous or sensual gratification; exciting sensual desires; luxurious; sensual
Located – Mk 7:21-23 – lasciviousness is in the heart of man – so it is already within him, it’s not something that he has to go out and seek, it’s something that he has to get under control and keep under control or else it will control him [Gen 4:7; 2 Pet 2:19].
Craved –Eph 4:17-19 They give themselves over to lasciviousness – so they walk as other Gentiles walk – notice that you cannot distinguish a lascivious Christian from a lost man; modern churches don’t want that distinction; they are intentionally promiscuous. When Christians get into lasciviousness, they:
- Walk in the vanity of their mind – which will lead them contrary to God because:
- Their understanding is darkened – understanding involves light, Ps 119:130
- They are alienated from the life of God – following the life of the flesh [Rom 8:7]
- Ignorance is in them – like driving down a dark road toward a bridge that is out
- And their heart is blind – so they cannot see, they are like a buck in rut
- Are past feeling [Acts 17:27] – so they cannot sense the leading and filling of the Spirit
- Work all uncleanness with greediness – notice the uncleanness and greediness of modernist preachers and their congregations
Manifested – Gal 5:19-21 – lasciviousness is manifest just like other works of the flesh, so it is evident to other Christians – though it is already in the heart of man, if he doesn’t give himself over to lasciviousness it will never be manifest – when he gives himself to lasciviousness, he will not be able to hide it, he will suffer loss at the judgment seat of Christ like he would for the other works of the flesh that are manifest and he will lose all or some of his inheritance in the Kingdom of God.
Discontinued – 1 Pet 4:1-5 – A man that knows the evils of lasciviousness from experience and has “suffered in the flesh” will cease from sin, [v.1]. When he’s suffered, he doesn’t want to live the rest of his time in the flesh so, v.2, he lives the rest of his time to the will of God, v.3 his lasciviousness stays in the past – it was the will of the Gentiles, and v.4, when he quits his lasciviousness, his buddies will think he is strange, they will speak evil of him [peer pressure, they will make him think that real Bible believers are strange]. But since he knows that all men are accountable to God, v.5 [rather than his modern church’s accountability group who would have him justify lascivious behavior or his old running buddies who would have him return to his old ways], he will not let the world or his old buddies persuade him to get back into this lasciviousness that he left when he left the world.
Checked – Jude 3-4 – v.3 to keep lasciviousness out of your congregation, you have to earnestly contend for the faith that was once delivered unto the saints – old fashioned preaching – v.4 otherwise, ungodly men will creep in unawares and turn the grace of God into lasciviousness and eventually deny Jesus [modern churches are demonic] – the pastor needs to be very aware of the ways ungodly men creep in so that he can keep them out – very few sheep are going to be aware of those creeping in UNAWARES.
Confronted – 2 Cor 12:20-21 – when you correct someone who is lascivious, he will debate with you and strive with you and all these other things in v. 20 [envying, wraths, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults] – these can really get an individual or a church stirred up – Paul, humbled by God, said that he would bewail [to express deep sorrow for – to wail – to lament] those who were lascivious and have not repented – Paul recognized the terrible condition of lasciviousness in a man’s life and in his church [unclean and fornicating].
Conclusion: So when a person realizes that his heart is deceitful and desperately wicked and that he lives in an unrestrained society, if he desires not to be given over to his heart’s desire, he will willingly submit to restraint in order to protect himself from wantonness and lasciviousness – he will set up restraint in his personal life and in his family and he will look for restraint in his church – since the modern church mistakes lasciviousness for the liberty of the Spirit and will not preach moral rectitude, you are hopeless to find restraint there.