A Great Church Acts 2:41-47 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
A great church is composed of the following elements:
Great growth around the words of God (Acts 2:41)
- There are many things that attract people to gather as a group, but a great church is grown out of the words of God
- The only way for a church to grow God’s way is with God’s words
Great faithfulness to the words of God (Acts 2:42)
- Continued stedfastly
- 1 Timothy 3:15 – every eternal work of God is done through the church – the body of Christ.
- Unto you have been committed these things. Therefore we are ambassadors
- Not just effective on Sunday, but everyday – daily
Great fellowship as a family (Acts 2:42)
- Accepted in the beloved.
- Having a family means accountability and responsibility. That is being part of a body.
- Strength in numbers – one guy who has faith, but get 100!
Great congregational prayer (Acts 2:42)
- Two or more are gathered in my name there am I in the midst – Corporate prayer – Acts 12:5-16, many local churches have a designated prayer service, midweek, weekend. Gives you an opportunity to pray for others and have others pray for you.
- Private prayer is good, but congregational prayer serves a different purpose in the life of a great church. It helps the congregation see and move forward with energy and joy around God’s purpose for the flock.
- Acts 1:14 – prayer made while waiting on the Holy Ghost to be sent. Can you imagine when the answer came on Pentecost in power? You now had the full commitment of all those who had been in prayer.
- Acts 1:24 – prayer made about a replacement for Judas, then everyone cast their ballot – gave forth their lot. So the Lord directed the congregation through their agreement.
- Acts 12:5, 12-17 – Peter’s jail break. Can you imagine being the guy that didn’t want to be at the prayer meeting that night? And that answer to prayer coming
Great willingness to serve (Acts 2:43)
- Here am I send me. We are good at picking what we’re willing to do in the way of service.
- Service – Assault elements have to travel light. No man that warreth entangleth with the affairs of this life
- If you are willing, God will use you.
- Exodus 35:22 And they came, both men and women, as many as were willinghearted, and brought bracelets, and earrings, and rings, and tablets, all jewels of gold: and every man that offered offered an offering of gold unto the LORD. Do you know who was used? Everyone that was willing. Do you know whose possessions were used? Everything that was given to the work of the Lord.
Great commitment (2:44-45)
- Where your treasure is, there your heart is also. Giving – provides for the physical need of the local church. If you ever get the idea that God owns it all anyway it will mature you in ways you never imagined.
- Commitment is easy when:
- People know they are a part of something with purpose – Ephesians 4:11-16
- People know what the plan is and where we are going.
- People trust each other, no. People trust God. Things are so much easier when you know God is in it. Think about that.
- When you ask the question, how can I be a blessing? And stop asking the question, when are you going to bless me?
- Charity is the basis of commitment.
Great testimony with others (Acts 2:47)
- We have come full circle from the Lord adding to the church in verse 2:41 (Romans 1:8, 10:13-15)
- Don’t quit, don’t bunker down; we’re not treading water. Paul to Timothy, Charge! Not build a bunker.