Today, we will overview the book of Romans. Periodically in this class we will take time to overview a book in the Bible to help you as you read and study the scriptures and make the words of God the center of your home.
Theme of the book of Romans: Stablishing the Gentiles in God’s righteousness
Key Verse in the book of Romans: Romans 16:25-27 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, but now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
Introduction to the book of Romans:
Continuing from Acts 28:25-31, Paul reveals the salvation of God to the Gentiles laying out the doctrine of God’s righteousness. Each chapter reveals another aspect of the righteousness of God. Gentiles were not given the temple or Levitical law so our incorporation into God’s plan is SPIRITUAL without the identifiable types and PHYSICAL reminders God gave Israel. Those will all come back into play in the future after the “fullness of the Gentiles be come in”, but until that time Israel will suffer blindness. God is going to provoke Israel to jealousy by inviting the Gentiles to be grafted into His eternal work pictured by the olive tree in Romans 11.
DOCTRINE OF GOD’S RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR THE GENTILES (Chapters 1-11)
REVELATION OF GOD’S RIGHTEOUSNESS (Chapters 1-3)
- Chapter 1:1-17 – God’s Righteousness Revealed from Faith to Faith – Quotes Habakkuk 2:4 the just shall live by faith
- Chapter 1:18-32 – God’s Righteousness Revealed in Creation – What you do with God’s revelation determines what God does with you
- Chapter 2 – God’s Righteousness Revealed in the Conscience – Your judgments of right and wrong are based on God’s righteousness revealed in your conscience
- Chapter 3 – God’s Righteousness Revealed in the Law
RESULTS OF GOD’S RIGHTEOUSNESS TO A SOUL (Chapters 4-8)
- Chapter 4 – Abraham, as an illustration, is given God’s righteousness by faith
- Chapter 5 – Justification is the result of that righteousness and in this chapter Paul explains the benefits of justification.
- Chapter 6 – Sanctification involves the new life and what God’s Holy Spirit is doing with you now that you are justified.
- Chapter 7 – Ministry of the law. Knowing that some would attempt to use the law to gauge their sanctification, Paul explains the ministry of the law and the liberty in Jesus Christ.
- Chapter 8 – In Christ you are now free to follow the Spirit of God. Walking according to the flesh has consequences, but nothing can separate you from the love of God in Christ. It is power over the presence of sin.
REMEMBER GOD’S RIGHTEOUSNESS IN ISRAEL (Chapters 9-11)
What about Israel who rejected the righteousness of God? This question arises from the end of chapter 8 where Paul says nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. He is answering that Israel is not separated from God, but is temporarily blind to the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ. That doesn’t change their election though.
- Chapter 9 – Israel is God’s elect but many Israelites stumbled at the righteousness of God – Israel PAST
- Chapter 10 – God’s salvation – Israel PRESENT
- Chapter 11 – The mystery of Israel’s blindness and the Gentiles engrafting – Israel FUTURE
PRACTICE OF GOD’S RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR THE GENTILES (Chapters 12-16)
Paul begins to beseech as a brother in Christ as opposed to the first 11 chapters where he was instructing as a father
- Chapter 12 – Principles of righteousness in your personal life
- Chapter 13 – Principles of righteousness as it relates to citizenship
- Chapter 14 – Principles of righteousness in your relationship with fellow believers
- Chapter 15 – Principles of righteousness in the ministry God’s called you to
- Chapter 16 – Principles of righteousness lived out in the local church