Today, there is a lot of attention on homosexuality because of conditions like:
- Laws allowing same sex marriages, as in Vermont;
- Denominational churches allowing practicing homosexual members and/or homosexual pastors;
- Sex education classes in schools teaching “alternative lifestyles”; and
- Governmental recognition of homosexuals as a “minority” entitled to specific “rights” and the protection of those “rights”.
Governments, schools, churches, and other organizations are giving in to pressure from homosexual groups to allow homosexuals the same privileges as married couples. Without an authority higher than personal or public opinion, organizations and individuals have been generally accepting the demands of homosexuals. Public acceptance might lead you to believe that God approves of homosexuality, as well.
However, God’s words speak very clearly on the subject of homosexuality. In case you are not familiar enough with the Book to know where God stands on the subject, we will give you some verses to help you see homosexuality from God’s point of view. Then you can refer to an authority higher than your own opinion to determine whether you “believe” homosexuality is right or wrong. Of course, if you agree with God, you will believe that homosexuality is an abomination.
In the Old Testament, God’s law specifically forbade homosexuality and set the death penalty as the appropriate punishment for violating this law. In both places, he calls this sin an abomination.
1. Lev. 18:22, “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”
2. Lev. 20:13, “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”
In the New Testament, God again deals with the sin of homosexuality in the book of Romans.
3. Rom. 1:26-27, “For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that reccompence of their error which was meet.”
Following this passage, in Romans 1:32, Paul records the specific “judgment of God” on this sin and others like it, “that they which commit such things are worthy of death.” Did you catch that? God says that the punishment for homosexuality in the New Testament, following the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, is the death penalty!! So, just because we are in this “age of grace,” God has not changed his opinion toward that sin one bit!!
In Romans, God tells you some specific things about homosexuality that reveal it is not anything like marriage between a man and a woman. Look at His words. Homosexuality is:
- The result of “vile affections”;
- “Against nature”;
- The result of burning “lust”;
- An “error”; and
- It will be recompensed.
Because Paul said, “receiving in themselves that reccompence of their error which was meet,” we believe that there will never be a cure for AIDS as long as there are homosexuals. If for some strange reason a cure is found, God will just bring another judgment to recompense their error.
We can find several instances in the Bible where cities and countries had to deal with homosexuals. Homosexuality ruined every city and country where it was allowed. And God blessed every king that stopped it. Just look at the examples:
- Genesis 19 – Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah & Zeboim (Deut. 29:23) were obliterated by brimstone and fire in one morning as a result of this sin.
- Lev. 18:22-29 – The Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and the Jebusites were killed and run out of the land of Canaan for homosexuality and similar sexual sins.
- 1 Ki 14:24-26 – Judah allowed “sodomites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out before the children of Israel.” Therefore, God allowed Shishak king of Egypt to attack Jerusalem and take “away the treasures of the house of the Lord.”
- 1 Ki 15:11-12 – When Asa “did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord … he took away the sodomites out of the land.”
- 1 Ki 22:46 – Jehoshaphat finished the job where his father Asa left off, “And the remnant of the sodomites, which remained in the days of his father Asa, he took out of the land.”
- 2 Ki 23:7 – When Josiah did right in the sight of the Lord, “he brake down the houses of the sodomites, that were by the house of the LORD.”
If you want to do right, then you have to stand against this sin and the people who practice it. If our country wants to do right, then the government officials have to stand against this sin and punish all those who are involved in it to rid it out of our land!! Short of that, you can look for God to punish this nation for allowing its citizens to commit this abomination!!
Hope this helps,
Pastor Bevans Welder