You and I are impressionable. The moment you think you’re not is the moment you are ripe for the world’s picking. Accept the fact that you and your children are impressionable and protect yourself from bad influences. Let’s look at Proverbs 1:10-33 and make some notes about social pitfalls.
Social Pitfall of Consent
Don’t Consent – 1:10 Consent thou not
- There is danger in consent with the wrong people
- Consent is movement towards a position. Where are you leaning?
- As parents, particularly dads, our job is to keep our kids from leaning
- Proverbs 3:5
- Ecclesiastes 11:3
- Consent is agreement
- Creates Mixed signals to those who watch you
- Genesis 19:1-14 Lot seemed as one that mocked
- Romans 14:16 Let not your good be evil spoken of
Social Pitfall of Cooperation
Don’t Cooperate – 1:15 walk not thou in the way with them
- There is danger in cooperating with the wrong people
- 2 Corinthians 6:13-18 – unequally yoked
- You will share in their destruction – Genesis 19:30-38 & Proverbs 13:20
Social Pitfall of Influence
Don’t Ignore their Character
- Worldly friends have refused wisdom (vs 24), choose to ignore the Lord (vs 29), hated knowledge (vs 29), despised reproof (vs 30)
- (31-32) they shall eat the fruit of their own way
- 1 Corinthians 15:33 – Influence will lead to a change of your heart like water around a cracked vessel – your kids friends, and your friends will influence you.