Every Idle Word
1) Isa. 55:8-9, God’s ways are different than the worlds.
2) The world thinks lightly of certain types of speech.
3) Matt. 12:36-37, The Lord says to take it seriously.
4) Matt. 12:34, your speech reveals your heart.
5) Matt. 12:35, your speech reveals your treasure.
6) Matt. 12:36-37, we will be judged. We will give an account to God.
a) We ought to give careful thought concerning the words we use.
b) We will be judged by God’s standards and not the world’s.
- I. Idle words for which we shall be judged.
A) Obvious examples of unacceptable speech.
1) Ex. 20:7, Take the Lord’s name in vain.
2) 1 Peter 3:10, Words that are evil.
a) Prov. 6:16-19, Lying words
b) Rom. 16:17-18, Deceitful words
c) Eph. 5:1-4, Filthy words
B) Other examples
1) The overuse of words, Prov. 13:3, 17:28
2) Words spoken in haste, Prov. 18:13, you can’t get them back, brain in gear.
3) Speaking evil of others
a) Those in authority, Ex. 22:28, Jude 8
b) Those around us, also known as reviling, is condemned, 1 Cor.6:8-10
4) Flattery, Ps.12:1-4
5) Unwholesome words, Eph 4:29
a) Euphemisms (substitute inoffensive for offensive)
1) Darn, shoot, gosh, gee, Ex. 33:18-20, Christian cussing
2) They mean the same as the offensive words
3) They have the same wrongful emotion behind them
4) The reflect an attitude of the heart contrary to a saint of God, Eph.4:29, Lead into Acceptable words
IDLE WORDS BECOME HABITS, OUT OF THE ABUDANCE OF THE HEART.
- II. Acceptable speech
A) Biblical Guidelines
1) Eph. 4:29a, for edification
2) Eph. 4:29b, minister grace to he hearer
a) Prov. 15:1, cool down heated conversations
b) Prov. 15:4,23, a delight to the hearer
3) Eph. 5:1-4, characterized by thankfulness
a) Which is the attitude of a saint of God, Col.1:12, 2:7,3:15,17,4:2
4) No murmuring or complaining, Phil. 2:14-15
B) Requires Forethought
1) The righteous will give careful thought to his speech, Prov. 15:28
2) The righteous are concerned about what comes out of their mouth
a) It reflects what is in your heart, Matt.12:34-35
b) Look to God for help, while even accepting rebuke of others, Ps.141:3-5
Conclusion: Ps. 19:14