He Must Increase John 3: 22-36 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
HE MUST INCREASE
A question came up about the ministry of John the Baptist versus the ministry of Jesus. The question arose over the following that Jesus was getting after his baptism. Some conjectured that John should have been envious about the growing popularity of Jesus. But John merely said, “He must increase, but I must decrease,” v. 30. Jesus increased because of his:
- Greater Following – 22-26 – see v. 4:1-2. It was always intended that Jesus would get the disciples because John came merely to herald him. Acts 19:1-7.
- Greater Calling – 27-30 – Jesus is the Christ, Matt. 16:16; Jn. 1:41; Jn. 4:25-26. Jesus is the bridegroom, Matt. 25:1, 13; 2 Cor. 11:2; Ps. 19:1-5; Rev. 19:7-9. John was the messenger Jn. 1:23. John was the friend of the bridegroom (best man?).
- Greater Origin – 31 – John’s birth was miraculous, Lk.1:11-17, but he was still just a man. Jesus’ birth was miraculous, Lk.1:28-35, but he was more than a mere man, he was the Son of God. Heavenly 1 Cor. 15:47, Jn. 3:13.
- Greater Testimony – 32-33 – John testified of Jesus’ coming in the spirit and power of Elijah (Lk.1:17). He made Jesus manifest toIsrael, Jn.1:29-31. There was none greater than John, Matt. 11:7-11. But Jesus testified the words of God! Jn.8:26; 15:15. And those words will judge all men Jn. 12:48-49. When you believe his words you seal that God is true, 1 Jn. 5:10.
- Greater Gifts – 34 – John was filled with the Spirit in his mother’s womb, Lk.1:15. Jesus Christ was the Holy Spirit incarnate, Matt. 1:20. Therefore he had not the spirit by measure, Mk. 3:22, 29-30, and accusations to the contrary were blasphemy. Furthermore, God gave Jesus all things, v. 35, Jn. 5:22-23.
- Greater Relationship – 35 – Jesus is the Son of God, Matt. 3:17, 17:5; Heb. 1:5-8, 13.
Therefore, v. 36, you believe him and have everlasting life (1 Jn.5:20). You reject him and you will not see life because the wrath of God abides on you. Receive him!!