Discipleship 4 Prayer Bro. Tony Seale CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
Is prayer really that important and, if so, how should I pray?
Luke 18:1-8 (A parable from Jesus on why we should always pray)
- Psalm 86:3 (David prayed daily)
- Psalm 55:17 (David prayed 3 times a day)
- Daniel 6:10 (Daniel prayed 3 times a day)
What is Prayer ? (John 15:13-16)
- The simple definition is that prayer is communication between you and God just as you would communicate with your friend.
What Prayer is not? (Matthew 6:5-7)
- Prayer is not to be fleshy or for show and it is not to be vain repetitions.
What should our prayers consist of ?
A Adoration – Giving praise and honor to God for what he has done. (Psalms 95:6)
C Confession – Confessing known sin in our lives for forgiveness. (Psalms 32:5)
Sin in our lives can hinder our prayers from getting answered (Isaiah 59:1-2)
T Thanksgiving – Giving God thanks for everything. (Philippians 4:6)
It is the will of God for us to give thanks (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
S Supplication – Making request to God for things needed and wanted. (Philippians 4:6)
For others first (1 Samuel 12:23)
For ourselves last (James 4:1-3)
* With all of these being done in the name of Jesus Christ (John 16:24)
What are some things that can hinder our Prayers?
1) Lack of faith (James 1:6,7)
2) Not praying in the will of God (Luke 22:42)
3) Disobedience to God’s word (John 14:13-14)
4) Not being will to forgive others (Mark 11:25)
5) Husbands and wives not performing their roles as husbands and wives (1 Peter 3:7)