In 1 Pet 1:10-12 we see that the Old Testament prophets prophesied of the salvation that we have. They prophesied “the grace that should come unto you.” They “testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.” These things were revealed to them but they ministered them to us because they didn’t understand them. They “inquired and searched diligently” but no one couldn make sense of these things until they were completely fulfilled. Even the disciples who witnessed the crucifixion, the death, the burial and the resurrection of Jesus couldn’t understand until the Lord opened the scriptures to them.
Prophesied salvation – 1 Pet 1:10-12 – The grace that should come is in Jesus Christ [Jn 1:14-17]. The Spirit of Christ in the prophets testified the sufferings of Christ and the glory which should follow [Lk 24:26-27; 32; 45]. You see these prophecies in:
- Is 7:14 the prophecy concerning the virgin birth.
- Is 9:6-7 the prophecy of the birth of a son who is the mighty God, the everlasting Father
- Zech 9:9 the prophecy of of the triumphal entry of Jesus on an ass’s colt
- Is 53 the prophecy of the substitutional death of Jesus Christ [see Acts 8:26-35].
- Is 53:4-5 is fulfilled and seen in 2 Cor 8:9
- Is 53:10 is fulfilled and seen in Heb 10:10-14
- Is 53:12 is fulfilled and seen in Heb 7:25
- Is 50:6 the prophecy concerning the smiting of Jesus and the plucking off of his hair
- Ps 22 the prophecy of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ
- Notice in Is 53 and Ps 22 the mention of a generation and a seed. These come forth from a man who dies. The only way that’s possible is by the resurrection of the man who dies.
- Zech 12:10 the prophecy of the piercing of Jesus
- Ps 16:8-11 the prophecy of the resurrection of Jesus quoted by Peter in Acts 2.
And some of these prophecies speak of things fulfilled at Jesus’ first coming and which will be fulfilled at his second coming:
- Is 61:1-2 – part of which Jesus quoted in Lk 4:18-19 speaks of Jesus’ ministry and his return with vengeance.
- Gen 49:10-11 – speaks of him riding the ass’s colt and of his return when his garments are sprinkled with blood [Rev 19:11-16; Is 63:1-4].
- Gen 49:24 – speaks of the shepherd [1st coming] and the stone of Israel [2nd coming Dan 2:34-35].
- Num 24:17 – speaks of the Star out of Jacob [1st coming, Matt 2:2] and the Sceptre [2nd coming Rev 19:15].
In 1 Pet 1:11 we see that the Spirit of Christ that was in them when they prophesied. He was in Joseph [Gen 41:38] and Daniel [Dan 4:19] and he filled Bezaleel [Ex 31:1-3; 35:30-31].
The prophecies were revealed to them to minister unto us by them which preach the gospel by the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven [Jn 16:7, 13-14]. The angels desire to look into these things, but they cannot participate in them because they can’t be “born again,” [Jn 3:5-6]. They are not born of the flesh.