What do we get with Redemption
In this sermon we are going to look at the subject of redemption based on the typology found in the book of Ruth. Ruth is a wonderful story of redemption and the types in this book present a wonderful picture of the Lord Jesus Christ and the church.
It is important to note what is being done in this passage is according to the Old Testament Law (Deuteronomy 25:5-9).
What are the types in this passage?
1) Boaz – is a type of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- He is redeeming a gentile woman to be his bride.
- As gentiles we make up the body of Christ which is his bride.
- Note the first thing said by Boaz in the book of Ruth “The Lord be with you” (Ruth 2:4)
2) Ruth – is a type of the church.
- As a Moabite she is a gentile who is being redeemed by a Jew.
- She becomes the bride of the type of Jesus Christ which makes her a type of the church.
3) The nearer kinsman – is a type of God the father.
- The other kinsman was willing to redeem the land but not Ruth. This is a type of God the father.
- Israel was God’s wife and inheritance ( 32:9 ; Psalm 28:9 ; 33:12 ; Hosea 1-3)
- He could not mar his inheritance ( 23:3-6)
- The other kinsman took off his shoe according to the Old Testament Law. God will take off his shoe over Edom during the tribulation (Psalm 60:8 ; Psalm 108:9).
Boaz redeems Ruth:
In verses 9-10 we see Ruth being redeemed by Boaz. This is a great type of what Jesus Christ has done for us in salvation. Notice the wording. Boaz said “Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife”. As saved born again children of God we are purchased by the blood of Jesus Christ (Acts 20:28 ; 1 Corinthians 6:19 ; 1 Peter 1:18-19)
What do we get with Redemption?
1) A Husband (verse 10)
- As the body of Christ we are espoused to Jesus as a chaste virgin (2 Corinthians 11:2) and will marry him in the future (Revelation 19:7-9).
- When Naomi spoke to Ruth and Orpah about staying in Moab she wanted them to have rest. She was referring to them being married. In Jesus Christ we should have perfect rest.
- What kind of wife are you being (Proverbs 12:4)
2) A Name (verse 10)
- Ruth was purchased to raise up the name of the dead. By being born we get the name of Adam and that name brings death (Romans 5:12).
- Through redemption we get the name of Jesus Christ (John 1:12-13 ; 1 John 3:1) and in that name is life (1 Corinthians 15:22).
- What are you doing with that name (Proverbs 22:1)
3) An Inheritance (verse 10)
- Through Jesus Christ we have an inheritance (Galatians 4:6-7). Part of our inheritance is rewards that are earned like crowns and reigning with him in the Millennium.
- But we must be careful how we build on the foundation in order to have rewards (1 Corinthians 3:9-11)
4) A Lineage (verses 13-22)
- Ruth has a child and ends up in the linage of Jesus Christ through David.
- As saved people we have a lineage in the children that we have and the ones we instruct. They are the heritage of the Lord and our long range weapons (Psalm 127:1-3).
- We must be very careful with the heritage that God has placed in our possession.