The Value of Integrity
In the passage before us Abraham travels into Gerar. Once again he is afraid that they will kill him and take his wife. Therefore he has to tell them that Sarah is his sister. Even though this is a half truth she is still his wife. Abimelech takes Sarah into is harem but the Lord does not allow him to touch her because of the integrity in his heart. The Lord reveals to Abimelech that she is Abraham’s wife and they settle the matter wisely. There are some valuable lessons for us in regards to having integrity found in this passage and our goal should be as Job.
Job 27:5 “God forbid that I should justify you; till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me.”
Integrity – The entire unimpaired state of anything, particularly of the mind. Moral soundness or purity; incorruptness; uprightness; honesty.
What can we learn from Abimelech’s Integrity?
1) Integrity is an issue of the heart (verse 5)
- From Proverbs 4:23 we see the issues of life come from the heart and integrity is no different.
- If we are going to have integrity and keep it we will have to do as Daniel did and purpose in our hearts to do so.
2) Integrity in the heart can keep the hands from sinning (verse 5)
- It is true that Abimelech took Sarah and put her into his harem but note that he said his hands were innocent in doing so because Abraham had told him she was his wife.
- In Mark 7:21-23 Jesus said it is what comes from within out of the heart that defiles a man. This is why we must have some integrity.
- In Proverbs 11:3 the word of God says that the integrity of the upright shall guide them. Integrity should be our guide.
3) Integrity in the heart can allow God to preserve us (verse 6)
- Note in verse 6 God tells Abimelech that he kept him from sinning in regards to Sarah.
- In Psalm 25:21 we see that integrity and uprightness can preserve us.
- Image what God would help us accomplish if we would just establish integrity and keep it.
4) Integrity of heart can bless others (verses 14-17)
- Abimelech’s integrity not only saved him but also became a blessing to Abraham.
- With this in mind we should note Proverbs 20:7.
The Value of Integrity : Handout
1) Give a brief summary of what is happening in this passage.
2) What should our goal be in regards to integrity? Give reference.
3) What is a good definition for integrity?
4) What can we learn from Abimelech’s integrity?