Creation Lesson #13
Facts and figures of the Flood (Genesis 6:8-8:22)
The flood that is found in Genesis chapters 6-8 is one of the main points for people that do not believe the Bible. This portion of scripture is even doubted by some who profess to believe in Jesus Christ. Therefore in this lesson on the flood we will look at some of the facts and figures concerning the ark and the flood. Also we will look at scriptural answers to some of the questions that critics of the Bible love to bring up.
Genesis 6:14-16 : The Ark and its Size
The two main material listed in the passage are gopher wood and pitch. The gopher wood was probably a cedar or a cypress wood. Note that God told Noah to pitch it within and without pitch. The ark was water tight and had to float.
Most likely the ark was built like a large box not like all the cartoon pictures we see today; after all it was called an ark. Now we will look at the size of the ark. This is a much disputed subject because many of the people who try and disprove the ark and the flood say that there was simply not enough room on the ark for all the animals. In discussing the dimensions of the ark we will use the conversion factor of 1cubit = 18 inches. It is possible that the cubit was much larger because of the giants that were present in the days of the flood (Genesis 6:1-6). If it was much larger the ark would simply be larger than the dimensions that we are about to list.
Using 1 cubit = 18 inches ;
Length = 450 feet breadth = 75 feet height = 45 feet
That is a very large boat. Now in regards to the problem of getting all the animals on the ark, notice that they were on the ark by “kind” (Genesis 6:20). It doesn’t say species. For example you don’t necessarily have to have every species of dogs such as German Shepherds, Poodles, Labs, etc. you just need two from every family. Such as wolves, dogs, coyotes, etc. Also nowhere does it say that he took full grown animals. Therefore it was very possible for God to have put all the animals on the ark despite what so called scientist tell us.
The ark only had one door and it was in the side and the ark had a window that was finished in a cubit at the top. The ark had 3 stories and rooms within it. Noah was to gather the food for him and the animals (Genesis 6:21).
Genesis 6:17 : Was the flood Local or Universal
Another thing that scholars like to try and suggest is that the flood was not universal but it was only a local flood. Now we know from the Word of God that the flood was universal and killed everything that was not on the ark or was already in the water. Look at these verses for proof of a universal flood. Genesis 6:17 ; Genesis 7: 21-22
Another argument that science will come up with is that if it only rained for 40 days and 40 nights how could it have covered the whole earth? Well first let us look at the data from the Word of God to see how much rain it would have taken to cover all the earth.
- The highest mountain was covered by 15 cubits of water (Genesis 7: 19-20)
- If Everest was the highest mountain back then that means the water would have been 29028 ft plus 22.5ft (15cubits) which equals 29050.5 feet high.
- There are 24 hrs in a day and 40 days would mean that it rained for 960 hrs.
- When one does the math and converts to inches of rain per minute, it would have rained at a rate of 6 inches per minute. (That is serious rain)
Now science will say that this kind of rain is impossible. So the question is where did this much water come from? The answer is very simple, it came from the deep. (Genesis 6:11 ; Genesis 8:2) Remember that from our previous studies in Genesis that there is a body of water above our solar system referred to in the Bible as the deep and what God did was to open up the windows of heaven and allow some of this water to pour down on earth along with the rain. (Note how God distinguishes the waters and where they are from in Genesis 8:2)
From comparing Genesis 6:11 with Genesis 8:13-14 we see that Noah was on the ark either 370 days or 377 days depending on how one looks at Genesis 6: 4-11.
- In Genesis 6:11 it says that Noah was 600 years old and it was on the 17th day of the 2nd month when the rain started.
- In Genesis 8:14 it says that when Noah came off the ark he was 601 years old and it was on the 27th day of the 2nd month.
- So by these numbers we see Noah was on the ark for 1 year and 10 days. So how long is a year?
- Note that when you compare Genesis 6:11 with Genesis 7:1-4 it was 150 days from the 17th day of the 2nd month to the 17th day of the 7th month. That makes 5 months of exactly 30 days per month. Therefore 1 year would be 360 days in the Bible.
Creation Lesson #13 Handout
Facts and Figures of the Flood (Genesis 6:8-8:22)
1) What are the materials that God told Noah to use in Building the ark?
2) What are the dimensions of the ark if we use a cubit as measuring 18 inches?
3) Where were the door and window that that was in the ark?
4) How many stories were there in the ark?
5) What is the important word that occurs in Genesis 6:20 that helps us in answering critics of the Bible on how all the animals fit in the ark? Give an example of how this word would work.
6) Give some verses that show us that the flood was universal and not local.
7) If the flood was universal where did all the water come from to cover the highest mountain if it only rained 40 days and 40 nights? Give references.
8) If Mt. Everest was the tallest mountain at this time and a cubit is 18 inches at what rate did the rain fall to cover all mountains in 40days and nights?
9) How many days are there in a Biblical month? Give references.
10) How long was Noah on the ark? Give references.