Friends According to Proverbs
Having a good friend is a real blessing in this life. But with all the benefits of friendship there are many dangers and responsibilities that come with having friends. In this lesson we will look at these elements of friendship and hope to show you not only how to pick a good friend but to be a good friend as well.
The key to having friends: (Proverbs 18:24)
In this verse from Proverbs we see that in order to have friends one must show himself friendly. This means that if you are a friendly person then you have a lot better chance at having friends. We have all heard someone say that they have no friends or that no one likes them. This could simply be because they are not friendly themselves. If you are having trouble with having friends one of the first things to ask your self is am I friendly person.
The danger of friendship: (Proverbs 22:24)
From this verse out of the book of Proverbs we see that we are instructed not to be friends with an angry man. The reason for this is found in the verse 23 of the same chapter. This verse tells us that we will learns his ways and get a snare unto our souls.
One of the hidden dangers of friendship is the trouble that we can get into by hanging around the wrong crowd. There have been many people that never intended on doing drugs or alcohol but because they were with a group of people or someone that they knew as a friend they were persuaded to do them also. There are probably many in jail today simply because they went along with a friend.
This is a hard thing because everyone wants to have a friend and nobody wants to be left out. But you must ask yourself is friendship really worth the risk?
The characteristics of a good friend:
1) Is with you in good times and in bad times (Proverbs 17:17)
- A true friend will stick with you. IF someone is only interested in what you can do for them they are not a true friend.
- IF a friend is trying to pressure you into doing something that you don’t want to do and they tell you they will not be your friend if you don’t do whatever it is, then they are not a good friend.
- A good friend stick with you whether you are poor or rich.
2) Will hurt your feelings (Proverbs 27:6)
- A good friend will hurt your feelings sometimes if they are truthful.
- If you are doing wrong and your friend knows it then they will tell you. You may not like what they have to say, but if they are true friends they will tell you anyway.
3) Gives good counsel (Proverbs 27:9)
- This one goes with the previous one above. Everyone needs good counsel from time to time and a good friend will give good counsel.
- Putting this with the point above if someone is not willing to hurt your feelings then they are probably not going to give you good counsel.
4) Makes you a better person (Proverbs 27:17)
- When sharpening something whatever it is you need something harder than what you are trying to sharpen.
- We all need friends that make us better. We should have friends that sharpen us not dull us all the time. Now I realize for you to help others be sharp you will have to be the harder one in the friendship, but that is why it is important to have a friend that also keeps you sharp as well.
- Maybe you are strong in one area and your friend is strong in another area, this can work to both of your benefits if you sharpen one another.
The responsibility of friendship: (Proverbs 27:10)
In this verse from Proverbs we see that we should not forsake our friends. A good friend is extremely hard to find. If you have one don’t be so quick to cast them aside. You may find it hard to find another one to take their place.
When it comes to friendship there are several key factors that you must consider. You must be friendly in order to have friends, and you must pick the right friends to avoid getting a snare unto your soul. The word of God will show you the right type of friends and also remember the value of friendship and be a good friend in return.
Friends According to Proverbs
1) What is the key to having friends according to Proverbs?
2) What is the danger of having friends according to Proverbs?
3) List four characteristics of a good friend from the book of Proverbs.
4) What should you do if you have a good friend according to Proverbs?