The Unintended Consequence Prov. 17: 6 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
An Unintended Consequence
Proverbs 17:6 & 30:11-14
In the previous lesson for this series we have been looking at the role of the husband and wife. We have detailed the role for each from the word of God, and given many practical things that each can do to have the kind of marriage that God has intended for them to have.
In this lesson we will look at how the role of the husband and wife affects the children. When husbands and wives will not follow the word of God and do their part their marriage is not all that is affected. There can be an unintended consequence which is having children that are trained in the biblical roles for being a husband and a wife.
In the first half of Proverbs 17:6 we see that children’s children are the crown of old men. Now anyone who is a grandparent can understand that verse. But the last half of that verse addresses the generation before the grandchild, which is the son. It says that the glory of children are their fathers.
What is interesting is that in Proverbs 30:11-14 we see a generation in which the children curse their father and will not bless their mother. Most would agree that this is a good description of how many children are today. So how do we get from children’s children are the crown of old men to a generation that curses their father and will not bless their mother? The answer is simple Fathers and mothers fail to teach their children what is right according to the word of God and a generation can be lost only to produce another generation that does not follow the word of God until we have what we have today.
When it comes to teaching children to be good husbands and good wives the best teacher is the actions of Mom and Dad. When husbands and wives fail to do their part the unintended consequence becomes producing children that will most likely reproduce what they have seen from their parents when they become husbands and wives.
There are three times that the name or word of God is said to be blasphemed in the bible let us look at these because they will help us to see how we can lose a generation if we are not careful.
1) Not honoring authority (1 Timothy 6:1)
- The context of the verse is servants honoring their masters, but spiritually we can apply it to us.
- When men and women will not honor God or the other authorities that God has placed in their lives the name of God is blasphemed and children see and learn from this as well.
2) Inconsistency in following God word (Romans 2:21-24)
- The context here is Israel blaspheming the name of God among the gentiles by preaching and teaching the law but not following it in their lives.
- How many times have children been told, “do as I say and not as I do” then we wonder why we have lost a generation.
- Parents must be consistent in doing what is proclaimed by the word of God as right.
3) Husbands and Wives not doing their part (Titus 2:1-15)
- The context here is very plain to see and directed at husbands and wives.
- When husbands and wives do not do their part the word of God is blasphemed and children are affected.
This is why Proverbs 22:6 is so important. Many people have misapplied the verse to raising a child in church and having him turn out right. Then when it doesn’t happen they say the verse failed. The verse is in the word of God and is true. But you must remember when it comes to spirituality God lets everyone make their own choice. So while you cannot make your child be spiritual you still train them in many ways. For instance how many of you were taught to tie your shoes by your mother and father? Most of us still tie them the same way. When you think about it there may be a lot of things that you find yourself doing when you are older and think wow, this is just what my dad or mom would do.
The fact is that we were trained by them and in many ways without even knowing. So if you are a parent and you want your children children’s to be a crown unto you, you must pay close attention to the example you set before them. I don’t think many parents purposely give their kids bad examples and training but if we are not careful their can easily be unintended consequences.