Creation Lesson #8 (Genesis 3:7-13)
Results of Sin (Genesis 3:7-13)
In the previous lesson we saw how Satan tempted Eve and how both her and Adam ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and committed the first sin by mankind. Now we took from that some valuable lesson on how Satan tempts us the same way and we saw the steps to sin.
Now in this lesson we will see the results of this sin and how it affects mankind still today. It is important to note that the reason man is a sinner in need of a savior is because of what Adam did in the Garden. And also we will show how that because of this sin the one and only savior, the Lord Jesus Christ is prophesied to come in this chapter.
As a result of eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil Adam and Eve are no longer innocent they are no longer without sin. They knew they were naked because of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
At the moment they ate of the tree they died spiritually. Now it is true that they did not drop dead physically but they died spiritually therefore Genesis 2:17 is not broken. Now they also lost the image of God that they were created in and that is why in Genesis 5:3 Seth is said to be born in Adams image and not God’s image.
As a result of this sin death is passed upon all men (Romans 5:12-14). Therefore the reason that “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23) is because we are in the image of Adam and not the image of God. Therefore we must be born again spiritually and this is what is found in the N.T. after the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. (John 3:3-7 and Ephesians 2:1-10)
Notice also that as a result of Adam and Eve realizing that they were naked they made them aprons of fig leaves. The fig tree in the Bible is a type of self righteousness. So Adam and Eve were trying to cover their own sins. This is exactly what people do today when they try to work their way to heaven instead of Going by the shed blood of Jesus Christ.
The fig tree is the only tree Jesus cursed (Matthew 21:19)
Man’s righteousness is as filthy rages (Isaiah 64:6)
Fig tree pictures self righteous Israel trying to establish their own righteousness
A saved persons righteousness is found only in the Lord Jesus Christ (2Corinthians 5:21)
This is why after God dealt with them about their sin he killed an animal and made them coats of skin. Genesis 3:21 Form this we see several important things.
1) God always requires blood as a result of sin (Leviticus 17:11; Hebrews 9:12)
2) God had to clothe Adam and Eve they could not do it themselves. Therefore only God can save us we cannot do it ourselves.
3) When a person is saved in the today by faith in Jesus Christ we get a change of clothes we exchange our filthy rages for God’s righteousness. This is pictured in Zech 3:1-4.
Also we will note here that the animal that God killed was most likely a Lamb. This would picture the lord Jesus Christ who is the Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29). And it also says in Proverbs 27:26 that the lambs are for thy clothing.
This is why the blood of Jesus is so important! (1 Peter 1:18-19)
One can plainly see know why we said at the beginning of this study that mankind would do anything to destroy and get rid of or discredit Gen 1-4 because it would get him out of being accountable to God for sin.
Now in these verses we can learn some things about mankind that psychiatry is just now beginning to figure out. The truth is that if you want to know something about man and why he does what he does there is no need to go to psychiatry just read the Bible.
- God seeks man out after his sin (verse 8)
- Adam and Eve hide from God after sin (verse 8)
- God knew where Adam was he wanted Adam to see where he was (verse 9)
- Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent (verse 12-13)
Now if you have ever watched a toddler you will see the exact same behavior traits in them when they do something wrong and get caught.
- Toddlers are not concerned about going around without clothing.
- If you tell them not to touch something that is the first thing that they will touch.
- If they get a hold of it the first place it goes is in their mouth.
- When they see you catch them they run and hide.
- When you catch them they will always blame someone else.
Isn’t it amazing how the Bible shows us exactly why man acts the way he does. The oldest game in the book is to blame someone else and that started with Adam.
Creation Lesson #8 (Genesis 3:7-13)
1) What is the main result for Adam and Eve eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil?
2) How is the result of the above question still affecting us today? Give references.
3) How is being born again related to Adam sinning?
4) Adam and Eve clothed themselves with fig leaves. What is fig leaves a type of in the word of God. Give a reference to support this.
5) What did God clothe Adam and Eve with?
6) List 3 important things that we see from God clothing Adam and Eve instead of them clothing themselves.
7) Where does a saved person today get his righteousness from?
8) In verse 8-13 we see some key character traits that tell us why mankind acts the way he does when he is told to do something and does it any way and then gets caught. List some of these.