Science and the Word of God
This lesson will deal with the subject of Science and the Word of God. Many believe that the Word of God is just a religious book or a historical book. The truth of the matter is that it is not only both of those but it is also a very scientific book. Think about it if God created everything that exists and we know he did, then he not only knows about science but in essence he created real science.
Now we underlined the word real in the above paragraph for a reason. The reason is that there is a distinction between real science and worldly science. When we use the term real science we are talking about science that does not contradict the word of God. When a scientist tries to use science to disprove the Word of God you we usually find that it is not even good science by the definition of science.
For example when scientist say that the world evolved from nothing or came from a “big bang” that is not even good science because that breaks the 1st Law of Thermodynamics. The 1st Law of Thermodynamics states that matter or energy cannot be created nor destroyed. It can be changed or converted but not created or destroyed. When a scientist says that the world has just always been here that breaks the 2ne Law of Thermodynamics. The 2nd Law is referred to as entropy. This means that anything that is left to itself or just sits will always go to a state of disorder. That is why your car falls apart and you watch needs winding. The world could not have been here forever because it would have decade into nothing.
So even scientist have to break their own rules in order to try and disprove the Word of God. These are what the Word of God calls contradictions of science and the Word of God warns us against such things in 1 Timothy 6:20.
“O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:”
To prove to you that the Word of God is scientific we are going to show you some scripture that deal with scientific information that was written hundreds to thousands of years before science figured them out.
Science in General in the Word of God :
Hebrews 11:3 “ Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.”
- Form this verse we see that things are made from things which do not appear. Science will tell us that everything is made up of electrons, protons, and neutrons which are all found in atoms. The atom theory was first published by John Dalton in 1803. If people had just believed the Word of God they would have known this much sooner.
Job 38:19 “Where is the way where light dwelleth? and as for darkness, where is the place thereof,”
- Note that God ask Job where is the way where light dwelleth? The term way is interesting because light is always moving. So it seems that God knew that light was traveling and not standing still way before any scientist did.
Job 38:24 “By what way is the light parted, which scattereth the east wind upon the earth.”
- In this verse God makes reference to the fact that light can be parted. Sir Isaac Newton discovered this in the 1700’s and used a prism to part light. Once again God and his word are way ahead of science.
Science Related to the Earth in the Word of God :
In ancient times there was a big debate about whether the earth was round or flat. If people would have believed the word of God they would have known that the world was round. In Isaiah 40:21-22 the word of God say plainly “he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth”.
Job 25:5 “Behold even to the moon, and it shineth not; yea, the stars are not pure in his sight.”
- All that the moon does is to reflect the light of the sun to the earth. God and his word knew this way before science ever figured in out.
Ecclesiastes 1:6 “The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.”
- This is an interesting verse because the Word of God says that there are wind circuits. Now pilots in WWII discovered what is called by science today as the jet stream. All you have to do is to turn on your local weather and you can see these displayed on the screen. Once again if someone had read and believed the Word of God we could have seen this truth thousands of years ago.
Ecclesiastes 1:7 “All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.”
- Here we see the process of sea water evaporating up into the clouds and then falling as rain on the earth, filling up the rivers and running back into the sea. This is a very unique cycle. The reason that Solomon knew about it many years before science is because God told him about it. Remember that God created this cycle.
Science Related to Medicine in the Word of God :
Leviticus 15:13 “And when he that hath an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself seven days for his cleansing, and was his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean.”
- Note the verse says to bathe his flesh in running water. This is a very important principle in removing germs and bacteria from your flesh. If doctors had practiced this many years earlier they would have probably saved many more lives.
- In the old days doctors would wash their hands and instruments in a bowl or a basin. And then wash them again. This was transferring the germs or bacteria from patient to patient.
Psalms 75:5 “Lift not up your horn on high: speak not with a stiff neck.”
- Speaking with a stiff neck can ruin your vocal cords. Once again the Word of God knows best.
Psalms 119:70 “Their heart is as fat as grease; but I delight in thy law.”
- This is interesting because God knew about heart disease way before the doctors discovered it.
Science Related to Technology in the Word of God :
Job 38:35 “Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?”
- It would seem that the verse is talking about lightnings that talk. That seems impossible except that we use electricity to talk every day with telephones. Ben Franklin and Alexander Graham Bell were smart men but when it comes to lighting and telephones God had them beat many years prior.
With all this information we see that those who say the Word of God is not scientific have either not read the Word of God or simply just refuse to believe what it says. None the less the Word of God is very scientific and we have seen that every now and then science catches up to the Word of God.
Science and the Word of God : Handout
1) List a verse in the word of God where God gives a warning against science.
2) Since the Word of God is very scientific then what do we do when Science contradicts the
Word of God?
3) Give some instances in the Word of God where we find some general scientific things.
4) Give some instances in the Word of God where we find scientific things related to the Earth.
5) Give some instances in the Word of God where we find scientific things related to Medicine.
6) Give some instances in the Word of God where we find scientific things related to Technology.