Salvation Series : Lesson #5 Words Associated with Salvation (Part 2)
In the previous lesson we looked at the word Justification and how it is connected with Salvation. Now we are going to look at the word Adoption. This word is found in the word of God and is very important when studying the subject of Salvation. As anyone who is familiar with the term adoption can guess this lesson is going to teach about becoming a child of God.
Let us first define the word adoption as we will do with all the words in this lesson.
Adoption – The act of God whereby he makes us his child and grants to us all the privileges and responsibilities of being his child.
Galatians 4:4-7 : (The Adoption of Sons)
In the passage above we see the term adoption of sons (verse 5). From this passage we also see that this is one of the reasons that Jesus Christ came and died on the cross and was resurrected on the 3rd day so that we could become sons of God.
When we get saved we become the sons of God through adoption. Even though we were not born the sons of God, through the new birth we are spiritually born again and God adopted into God’s family. Let us look at a couple of verses to go with this.
John 1:12 “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:”
1 John 3:1 “Behold what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
As we see from these verses just as with justification this process of adoption is connected with faith. Therefore being adopted by God is done the moment that a person asks the Lord to save them.
The reason that this word is so important to salvation is because once you become a son of God you are always a son of God, just as with your earthly father. He may disown you or you may disown him but it does not change the fact that you are still his son. Once we are born again we are Gods son and we cannot change our new birth.
There are great advantages to being a child of God. In Galatians 4:7 we are said to be heirs with Jesus Christ. Do you realize that if you are saved your heavenly father owns everything on the earth including the earth? Now that is an inheritance not to mention all the eternal rewards that we can earn for serving him now while we are awaiting his return. There are other benefits like his love for us (John 17:23) and his care of us (Philippians 4:19). But we need to remember that with all the blessings also come the responsibilities associated with being his son. We are supposed to look and act like a child of God not a child of the devil. We are supposed to guard our testimonies and do what the word of God says. Now if we don’t do these things it doesn’t mean that we lose our salvation, we have a heavenly father that forgives us, but it does bring shame and reproach to his name. So always remember that with great blessings usually come great responsibilities.
Some things that prove to us that we are God’s children :
In Romans 8:14-17 we see 4 evidences of being a child of God. Lets us look at each of them.
1) A person is led by the Spirit (verse 14)
- Here we see that when a person is saved they are going to be led by the Spirit of God. Now this doesn’t mean that they will always follow the Spirit but he is still trying to lead them.
- An example of this would be for someone who just got saved and before they were saved would go out to bars or hang out with the wrong crowd and then after salvation when they tried to do those same things they were not fun anymore and the person was very uncomfortable being around those people and doing those things. This is because the Holy Spirit is leading them away from those things that are wrong.
2) A person has the feeling of an adopted child toward God (verse 15)
- Before salvation you do not feel the same about God as you do after salvation. For instance you may know another person parents really well but in the end they are not your parents.
- It is the same way with God. After salvation you have a new relationship with him as your father and it is totally different than before.
3) A person has the witness of the Spirit (verse 16)
- When a person is saved the Holy Spirit bears witness with their spirit that the child of God.
- This is easy for someone who is saved to understand but hard to explain to someone who is not saved. It is connected with the leading of the Spirit as we have mentioned above.
4) A person will have the sufferings of Christ (verse 17)
- Jesus Christ was persecuted just because he did what was right and because he was God’s son. Therefore if we are God’s children and we follow the leadership of the Spirit and doe what God says we are going to be persecuted just as Jesus was.
- Remember that 2 Timothy 3:12 says that if you live godly in Christ Jesus you will suffer persecution.
Salvation Series : Lesson #5 Handout
Words Associated with Salvation (Part 2)
1) List a good passage for looking at the word Adoption.
2) What is a good definition for the word Adoption?
3) When does a person become a son of God? List some verses for your answer.
4) What is the passage that shows us the proofs for being a child of God?
5) List 4 proofs from the passage in the previous answer that show us we are the children of God.