It Gets Worse Before It Gets Better Ex 5:9 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
When Moses and Aaron approached Pharaoh about letting Israel go, the Jews were undoubtedly excited about the prospect of getting out from under their bondage.
They were happy God heard their cry – Ex 2:23-25
They worshipped God when they knew that he had visited them – Ex 4:29-31
But Pharaoh didn’t let them go. Instead, he increased their work load. Ex 5:4-9. He had their officers beaten Ex 5:14-16. Strife developed between the officers and Moses and Aaron Ex 5:19-21. And Moses complained to God Ex 5:22-23.
You see, it often gets worse before it gets better.
What followed is the plagues. The blood Ex 7:19, the frogs Ex 8:5 and the lice Ex 8:16 affected Israel the same way it did Egypt. It wasn’t until the plague of flies that God severed the land of Goshen where Israel dwelled Ex 8:22. The Jews didn’t suffer any more plagues after this.
It gets worse before it gets better. After more severe plagues in which Israel was spared, they finally made it out to the wilderness only to be attacked by Pharaoh Ex 14. But then they saw the parting of the Red Sea. And as soon as they had finished singing God’s praise in Ex 15 they encountered the bitter waters of Marah Ex 15:23.
That’s how life goes. When God saved you he promised you eternal life and heaven. But the things that can happen to you on your journey to heaven can be worse after you are saved than before you’re saved. You know why? You have enemies now, the world and the devil, and even your flesh.
What not to do.
- Don’t murmur and complain against God 1 Cor 10
- Don’t gripe against the man of God Ex 15:24; 16:8
- Don’t go back to the world Ex 16:3; Ex 32.
What to do.
- Trust the Lord and his promises Prov 3:5-6. He is going to bring it to pass. He said that he would give you life and more abundantly Jn 10:10. He gave Israel water out of a rock and manna from heaven. He loads you up with spiritual provisions like grace, peace, love, rest, comfort and so forth.
- Learn contentment Phil 4:11-13; 2 Cor 11:23-28. Joshua and Caleb were content in the wilderness till they made it to Canaan.
- Grow stronger 1 Pet 5:10. Adversity makes you stronger.
- Console others when they go through struggles in their lives 2 Cor 1:3-5.
- And realize with all your heart that Rom 8:28 is true.
Conclusion: Israel made it to the promised land and Moses will, too [Rev 11]. And you will make it to heaven just fine. Don’t let the journey get your down.