A Study in the Life of Joseph : Lesson #2 Joseph Sold by his Brethren
In this lesson from the study of Joseph we will look at the events that led to Joseph being sold as a slave by his brethren. Once again we will show how Joseph is a type of Jesus Christ and look at a spiritual application for us in the passage.
Joseph being sold as a slave :
In the previous lesson we saw that Joseph was sent by his father to check on his brethren. As they saw him approaching they came up with a plan to kill him. Rueben heard there plan and told them not to kill Joseph but throw him in a pit. Rueben’s plan was to return him to his father unharmed. So Joseph’s brethren took his coat of many colors from him and threw him into the pit. As they were eating some Ishmeelites were coming by and going to Egypt to sell their goods. Judah came up with the idea to sell Joseph as a slave and make some money. So Joseph was sold as a slave for twenty pieces of silver. When Ruben returned he found out what his brethren had done and they came up with the plan to take his coat and dip it in blood from a kid of the goats. They told his father that a wild beast must have destroyed Joseph.
Joseph as a type of Jesus Christ :
1) Joseph was stripped out of his coat (verse 23) – see John 19:23-24 for Jesus.
2) Joseph was placed into a pit with no water (verse 24) – see John 19:28 and Acts 2:25-31 for Jesus. (This pictures Jesus as he was in the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights)
3) Joseph was sold for 20 pieces of silver (verse 28) – see Matthew 26:14-16 for Jesus.
(For the difference in pieces of silver see Leviticus 27:5, Joseph was sold for the price of a child not an adult)
4) Joseph garment was dipped in blood (verse 31) – see Revelation 19:11-16 for Jesus.
What is the spiritual application for us from this passage?
Rueben was the only one willing to take a stand for his brother and what was right. Many times in the life of the saved person if you stand for God and what is right you will have to stand alone.
Ephesians 6:10-17 is where we find our spiritual armor and the purpose of this armor that we might be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. Note that we are not necessarily to defeat him but to be able to stand. One of the hardest things in life is standing for what is right especially when no one else will stand with you.
The key to remember is that if you are saved and standing for God and his word then in reality you are never alone (2 Timothy 4:16).
A Study in the Life of Joseph : Lesson #2 Joseph Sold by his Brethren (Genesis 37:20-36)
1) What is happening in this passage concerning Joseph?
2) How is Joseph a type of Jesus Christ in this passage?
3) What is the spiritual application for us from this passage?