Grow in the Knowledge of God II Pet. 3:17 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
I am convinced that the reason some Christians don’t grow much is that they don’t grow in the knowledge of God. They are content to know that they are saved but they make no effort to get to know God beyond that. The Bible tells us that we are to grow in the knowledge of God.
Admonition to grow in the knowledge of God
- 2 Pet 3:18 grow in the knowledge of our Lord
- Col 1:10 increasing in the knowledge of God
- 2 Pet 1:5-6 add knowledge [v.8 affects your fruitfulness]
Benefits of growing in the knowledge of God
- Steadfastness – 2 Pet 3:17 – keeps you from being led away with the error of the wicked. As you grow in the knowledge of the Lord you become better at spotting the error of the wicked. You become steadfast in the truth and the work of God [1 Cor 15:58].
- Spiritual provisions – 2 Pet 1:2-3 grace, peace and all things that pertain to life and godliness through the knowledge of him. All of these things are essential to spiritual wellbeing and growth.
- Wisdom and revelation – Eph 1:17 The spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him. We get to know this book and we get to know him by revelation [Lk 10:21-22; 1 Cor 2:10].
- Perfection – Eph 4:13 of the knowledge of the Son of God unto a perfect man. See verse 12. We, ourselves, are perfected and we are perfected within the body.
Obstacles to growing in the knowledge of God
- Imaginations and thoughts – 2 Cor 10:5 every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God. God’s trying to speak to you through his words and your thoughts exalt themselves against his knowledge.
- Confidence in the flesh [v.3-4] – Phil 3:7-10 count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ. These include the things you are good at and the things that become your identification. John was the greatest in the kingdom of heaven and yet he said, “He must increase, but I must decrease,” [Jn 3:30].
- The lusts of the flesh [v.18-19] – 2 Pet 2:20 escape the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord. There are men who are emboldened to sin by those who promote “liberty.” Mega churches are moving men in this direction.
- The lack of salvation – 1 Cor 15:34 some have not the knowledge of God. Titus 1:15-16 they profess that they know God. You don’t know him if you aren’t saved.
Conclusion: you cannot be neutral; you must daily seek to know God and grow in the knowledge of the Lord, personally. Read and study and watch how he works in life and in your life. Get to know what pleases him and do those things for his pleasure and no one else’s.