1 Tim. 6:6
Godliness with contentment is great gain. We preach all the time about reading your Bible, improving your prayer life, and church attendance, which will help your godliness. But to have great gain, you must be content. This present evil world doesn’t want you to be content, although every advertisement promises contentment and great gain! How do you get contentment? Are you content?
Definition: A resting or satisfaction of mind without disquiet. Contentment is a condition of the mind not the flesh. Contentment is not grudgingly resigning yourself to accept your state either! It’s a change of mind.
Rom.12:2 You need to renew your mind, so as not to be conformed to this world
Eph. 4:23 You need to be renewed in the spirit of your mind, because defeating your deceitful lust is spiritual
God tells us in the Bible:
- Be content with your possessions
- 13:5 “with such things as ye have”
- 1 Tim. 6:8 with “food and raiment”
- Be content in whatever state you find yourself
- Phil 4:11 “whatsoever state I am”
- Paul says “I have learned” contentment is not natural (babies are born crying)
- God may put you in a “state” to prove you! He proved Paul!
- He did it to Israel, 16:4 “to prove them”
- 8:16, always for your own good!
To Be content, you must change your mind! Money can’t buy It.
Prov.16:16 Wisdom and Understanding
Ecc.9:13-18 The world despises wisdom, disobeying wisdom is rebellion
Ecc. 5:12 A Good Night’s Sleep
Physical wealth breeds stress
Ps.119:14 God’s Words
His riches are unsearchable Eph.3:8 Spiritual things over physical
Would your relationship with God remain the same if He took it all away today? Job.1:20-22, It should.