What Does The Word of God Know?
The word of God knows everything as shown in Hebrews 4:12-13. Not only is the word of God said to be alive and a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart, but every creature is manifested in its sight according to verse 13. This means that the word of God knows all about you. It knows what you want admit and also what you do not even know to admit about yourself. This explains why people are so afraid of the word of God. It is not just any ordinary book it is alive. It is connected with our new birth (1 Peter 1:23) and it will judge those who reject it (John 12:48). If you are wondering why people get nervous about you reading your bible in public then this is the reason why.
Human characteristics that are given to the word of God:
1) It is alive (Hebrews 4:12-13 & 1 Peter 1:23)
- Life comes from life and God is the creator of life, therefore God and his word are the same.
2) It is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12)
- This is why people have a hard time with the word of God. They can lie to themselves and others but you cannot lie to the word of God.
3) It grows and multiplies (Acts 12:24)
4) It sees things in the future (Galatians 3:8)
5) It speaks (Romans 9:9)
There is an interesting fact found in the numbers four and five of the list below. Comparing Galatians 3:8 with Genesis 18:18 and Romans 9:17 with Exodus 9:16 shows that when the word of God forsees and speaks it is connected directly with God speaking. Therefore God and his word are the same. That is why it is so important that we have the true word of God today without error.
What does the word of God know?
The short answer here would be everything but there are some specific things that we will point out.
1) The Future (Galatians 3:8 with Genesis 18:18)
- One of the reasons that God leads us and speaks to us directly through his word is because his word knows that future.
- Imagine how good of decisions you could make if you knew everything that was going to happen in the future. Remember the word of God does and you cannot go wrong following the word of God.
2) What is right and what is pure (Psalm 119:160 ; Psalm 12:6,7 ; John 17:17)
- The word of God leaves us no doubt about what is right and what is wrong. We are the ones that complicate the matter.
3) Everything about you (Hebrews 4:12-13)
- If the word of God knows the future, knows what is right and what is pure and everything about you then what more do you need.
Since the word of God knows these things we should do what the word of God says in Proverbs 2:1-4.
1) Receive them (verse 1)
2) Hide them in our hearts (verse 1)
3) Listen to them when they speak (verse 2)
4) Apply them in your life (verse 2)
5) Seek them above all else (verse 4)
There are great benefits for receiving, hiding, listen to, applying and seeking the words of God. These benefits are as follows; understanding the fear of the Lord (verse 5), obtaining knowledge of God (verse 5), and understanding righteousness, judgment, equity and every good path (verse 9). What we must remember is that the word of God is not just another book it is Gods Holy word and if we would follow it as so we would see a major difference in our lives.
What Does The Word of God Know? Handout
1) What is unique about Hebrews 4:12-13?
2) What are the human characteristics that the word of God is given in scripture.
3) What is unique about the scripture speaking?
4) List 3 things that the scripture knows.
5) What should we do in regards to the scripture knowing everything?
6) What are the results of doing the answer in question five?