Don’t Get Comfortable Gen. 11:1-9 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
Don’t get comfortable, in the previous five chapters God has destroyed the earth because of man’s wickedness. He has cleaned up the man made mess. Now you would think that man, knowing firsthand the wrath of God, would behave himself. It didn’t happen. In chapter 11 we find man doing what was right in his own eyes. Look at verse 5, God had no part in these men’s plans. Let’s look now at this passage and see what men will naturally do, especially with God.
Verse 1 One language Comfortable because we are able to communicate with each other
- In the port ministry, it can be very uncomfortable dealing with other languages
- Tony is from Alabama, I’m not sure we speak the same language
One Speech Understanding – Comfortable because of common believes
- We tend to enjoy being around people with the same beliefs
- I remember the story of pastor wanting to street preach to some rough looking bikers at the Buc days parade, not comfortable
- You work or go to school with folks that have a different speech! What are you doing, staying comfortable or stepping out to be uncomfortable?
- At church sometimes you hear uncomfortable words, some folks don’t stay long.
Verse 2 Dwelt together Man will naturally form himself in groups for comfort
- Sociology assignment in college illustration, that explains that people naturally form groups
- You have done it, and continue to because it’s comfortable.
Verse 3 Made Brick Become comfortable and not growing
- We all have abilities given by God
- You can get too comfortable with your job, hobby, life as it is.
- You are comfortable with the status quo.
- Comfortable with your position of service at church?
- Comfortable with your fellowship with God?
Verse 4 Build us a city and a tower
- 127:1, Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
- The Lord builds and Keeps, not you!
Make us a name
- Everything is about you
- Acts 4:12, Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Lest we be scattered God will make you face your fears
- No one wants to face their fears
- Job 3:25, For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.
- Verse 8, God gave them what they feared the most.
- Illustration of the fear to stay in Istanbul on a recent mission trip.
Verse 6 Ruled by imagination, not by the Will of God
- 6:5 – Gen.8:21 the imagination of man’s heart is evil continually
- Jeremiah 10:23-24, O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.
- O LORD, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing.
- Without God and with only the desire to be comfortable, you will be ruled by your imagination.
Look in Gen.12:1, God found a man that would do it right! Turn to Hebrews 11:8-10
Verse 8 By Faith Not Comfortable to walk by faith and not sight.
- Tithes and offerings
- All the promises of God
- God will take care of you!
He Obeyed Not Comfortable to obey.
- Sin is comfortable or else you wouldn’t do it!
- It’s not comfortable to run your family like the Bible says to.
Went out Not Comfortable Take the first step!
- Taking the first step in very uncomfortable!
- Raising your hand during a salvation call, uncomfortable!
- Walking to this altar, seems like a five-mile hike!
Verse 9 Sojourned (to Stay Somewhere Temporarily)
- 11:13 Strangers and pilgrims
- Illustration of our mission trip and that was exactly what we were
Verse 10 looked for a city with foundations Builder and maker God!
- 11:14-16 God prepared them a city Everlasting
- Seek ye first the Kingdom of God!
- 13:14 No continuing City, but we seek the one to come!
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Don’t Get Comfortable!