Commanded of God 1 Kings 17 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
- Read 1-16 The Barrel and the Cruse that keep on giving!
- Verse 9 – “I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee”
- Did she act as if she had had a conversation with God prior to Elijah showing up?
- Back in Verses 1-7, It’s pretty clear the ravens were told by God to feed Elijah, because they did exactly that!
- So if God said that she was commanded, I believe that she was, but that doesn’t mean it was a verbal command.
- Have any of you ever been commanded by God verbally?
- So there must be other ways!
She was Commanded of God:
- By Circumstances
- Widowed, Famine, Broken, and at her wits end (beat up by her circumstances)
- Enough food for one last meal (God had her in a pinch point)
- Committed to care for her son (Not alone but had responsibilities)
- No apparent relationship with God, verse 12 (Thy not My God)
- Really had few choices left.
- Her circumstances commanded her actions
- There is never a moment in our lives where we are NOT under a commandment of God
- The Lord has you exactly where you need to be to obey His command
- Do you need to learn to trust God FIRST?
- Do you need to improve you fellowship with Him?
- Do you need to be Humbled?
- Do you need to Give?
- Do you need to serve?
- Your circumstances may be commanding some action desired of God!
- By the Word of God
- She answered the Man of God’s command (Verses 10-16)
- She brought him the drink and the bread
- She even against all logic, prepared Elijah’s meal first, when she was convinced she had not enough
- The word of God commanded her actions
- There is never a moment in our lives where we are NOT under a commandment of God, Saved or not. He is the Lord of all.
- John 3:16
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- John 3:7
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
- Romans 6:12-13
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
- John 15:12
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
- Colossians 3:13
13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do
- The word of God may be commanding some action desired of God!
- By Fulfilled Promises
First promise was to Elijah (Verse 9)
- He had no problem believing, he had been fed by ravens before
- Hasn’t God already fulfilled promises far greater in your life than what you may be clinging to today?
Second promise was to the widow woman (verse 14)
- Did she have a better option; this one gave her hope!
- I don’t believe that she had any faith at this point, read 17-24
- She finally believed after her son was resurrected!
- God resurrected His son so that we would believe!
- Review all points
- Charge folks to look at their circumstances and seek out what God is commanding them
- Charge folks to Learn and obey God’s word, plenty of commands
- Charge folks to be encouraged by the fulfillment of God’s promises in their past!