Things Money Can Not Buy :
1 Timothy 6:10
In this lesson we are going to be looking at some of the things that money cannot buy. It is evident by all that we live in a world where money is the principle concern of most people. Hence, there are many popular saying such as; “money talks”, “money runs the world”, and “if it doesn’t make any sense then there is a dollar involved”. There is said to be two great motivators of man one is fear, the other is money. What we need to realize especially as saved people is that money is useful when it comes to worldly things, but there are some really important things that have nothing to do with money and money simply will not buy these things.
The wording in 1 Timothy 6:10 is very important. Money by itself is not the problem; it is the love of money that is the problem. Money is an everyday necessity. This is why we work so that we can buy food, clothes, shelter, etc. The problem comes when we began to love money and the things it can do for us or the things that we can do with it.
The verse also says that the love of money is the root of all evil. Note the word all that is a serious thought. That at the root of all evil is the love of money. But this may shed a lot of light on both wars and the politics of history and our present day world.
With all the things that money can do for a person many people today lose sight of what money cannot do for them. Below we will give a list of things that money cannot buy or do for a person.
Things Money Cannot Buy :
1) Money cannot buy Salvation (1 Peter 1:18-19)
- Many people today are under the impression that if they give enough money to the church or a religious organization that they will go to heaven. This is simply not the case no matter what the preachers who are getting rich of this kind of preaching are telling people.
- It is true that salvation was purchased but as 1 Peter says it was not with silver or gold it was with the precious blood of a lamb (Jesus Christ). This same thing is said by Paul in Acts 20:28.
- The only thing that saves us today is the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. When we receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith (Romans 10:9-13; Ephesians 2:8-9) we are then washed in his blood and our sins are forgiven (Revelation 1:5).
2) Money cannot buy Safety (Proverbs 21:31)
- True safety comes from the Lord as this verse plainly says. It is interesting to note that the richer people get the more concerned with security they become. They have alarms, security cameras, gated entrances, sometimes even body guards or a security force. While these things are nice and if you can afford them have at them but real safety comes from God.
- If God wants you there is no where you can hide and nothing that will stop him from getting to you. Note that Proverbs 11:4 says that riches profit not in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivereth from death.
3) Money cannot buy you Love (Proverbs 19:14)
- Many people today marry for convenience or money and in the end are not very happy. This verse says that a prudent wife is from the Lord.
- It is true that people will love you as long as you have money and are generous with it, but let the money run out and you will see that it was your money they loved and not you.
4) Money cannot buy you Happiness (1 Timothy 6:5-10)
- This is why money is so deceptive, most people think that the more they have the happier they will be. The problem is seen when we look at it from a negative standpoint instead of the positive.
- Which would be worse having only 5 dollars in the bank and losing it or having 50,000 dollars in the bank and losing it? The real deception with money is that the more you have generally will cause one of two things to happen. One you will fall in love with it and spend all your time getting more or two you will be worried to death that you are going to lose what you have. In both of these situations there is no contentment. This is why rich people are some of the most miserable people on the planet.
- True contentment and happiness comes from God and he does give us richly all things to enjoy (1 Timothy 6:17), but this doesn’t mean that it is God’s will for everyone to be rich. For he tells us with food and raiment to be content.
- It will depend on how we look at money and whether we fall in love with it. There is a very old saying “do you have money or does it have you”.
5) Money cannot buy you Health (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
- In today’s world Money will buy you a lot of treatments, drugs, or medical procedures but in the end it cannot solve all your health problems.
- In this we see a very important lesson concerning money. When a person is sick or a person is dying they are not concerned about the cost they will spend every dime they have trying to get cured or live.
- Once again God is the only one who can save us in the end. Modern medicine and science can extend your life longer than you will wish it to go with medicine and machines but eventually everyone dies (Hebrews 9:27)
- There is a good example of this seen in the word of God (Mark 5:25-26). Here was a woman who had spent all she had to cure her disease but the only one that could save here was Jesus.
Whether you are rich or poor by the worlds standards don’t really matter if you are saved you have eternal life and that cannot be bought with money. If you are saved be content with whatever God gives you and enjoy life for it will soon be over and you don’t want to wake up one day and realize that life passed you buy while you were chasing something called a dollar.
Things Money Can Not Buy : Handout
1 Timothy 6:10
1) What does our verse say is the root of all evil? Why is the wording so important?
2) What is a good verse for showing that money can’t buy salvation?
3) What has purchased our salvation? Give a reference for your answer.
4) What is a good verse for showing that money can’t buy safety?
5) Why is money no good in the day of God’s wrath?
6) What is a good verse for showing that money can’t buy love?
7) Why is this truth so important in everyday life especially our personal life?
8) What is a good verse for showing that money can’t buy Happiness?
9) Where does true contentment come from? Give a verse for your answer.
10) What is a good verse for showing that money can’t buy Health?
11) What is a good example from the word of God on this truth?