Things we need after we get Saved (2 Peter 1:5-10)
In this series we are going to be looking at things we need to have after we get saved. Many People get saved but never grow or mature as a saved person. There are several reasons for this such as they never get in a good church where they can hear the word of God taught and preached in truth and without compromise. They never read their Bible or spend much time in prayer. Or even sometimes groups with incorrect teachings or doctrines of word of God get a hold of them and they mess them all up. Whatever the reason it is very sad to see someone who has never grown up and matured as a saved person after many years of salvation. Paul describes this in Hebrews 5:11-14.
In this series we are going to look at 7 things that the word of God says that we should add to our faith. These things are given to us in 2 Peter 1:5-10. They are listed as follows:
1) Virtue 5) Godliness
2) Knowledge 6) Kindness
3) Temperance 7) Charity
Every one of these is very important and is needful in the life of the saved person. Also we will see that the order they are placed in is important as well.
What are we adding these things to?
In 2 Peter 1:5 we see that we are adding these things to faith. According to Ephesians 2:8-9 we are saved by grace through faith and not by any works, and this faith is in the finished work and shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore once we are saved we are complete in him and the foundation is sure. After we are saved we need to build on the foundation that has been laid by Jesus Christ, but we must be careful has to how we build on this foundation. This is what Paul is speaking of in 1 Corinthians 3:9-11.
Therefore when we say that we are adding these things to our faith we are not adding anything to salvation, it is complete in Jesus Christ. What we are doing is we are building on the foundation that he has already laid.
How are we to add these things or build on this foundation?
In 2 Peter 1:5 we see that we are to add these things to our faith by diligence. Diligence is defined in the Dictionary of American Language by Noah Webster as, steady application in business of any kind or the constant effort to accomplish a goal. This is very important and it is a characteristic that is missing in people today. We live in a quick and now society and if something requires diligent effort many people will just simply not do it.
For a saved person to gain the things that are listed in this study they are going to have to be diligent because these things are hard and do not come easy. But if you will be diligent and strive for these things you can be a very fruitful Christian and also enjoy many blessing along the way despite the hardships. Below is a short chain reference that shows us what the word of God says about those who are diligent. The key is simply diligence.
Proverbs 12:24 (The hand of the diligent shall bear rule)
Proverbs 13:4 (The soul of the diligent shall be made fat)
Proverbs 22:29 (Diligent people shall stand before kings)
Hebrews 11:6 (God is a rewards those that diligently seek him)
What are some benefits of having these things?
1) We will not be barren or unfruitful in the knowledge of Jesus Christ (2 Peter 1:8)
• One of the main goals as a saved person is to bear fruit (John 15:8). The sad thing is that many saved people never bear fruit. This is plainly a benefit of these things.
• Note also that the verse says in the knowledge of the Jesus Christ. This was one of Paul goal was to know the Lord more and more every day (Philippians 3:7-10).
• The question for us is how well do we know the Lord.
2) Have sight (2 Peter 1:9)
• This verse is not talking about physical sight necessarily but spiritual sight. For instance like being able to see the consequence of your actions before you do something based on what the word of God says. Or being able to see what is right and wrong according to the gospel. Also being able to see that things on this earth are just temporal and not that important but it is what is done for the Lord that will last (2 Corinthians 4:15-18).
3) Keep us from falling (2 Peter 1:10)
• This is not talking about losing your salvation as some would try to teach. It is talking about when a saved person falls through sin and messes up their testimony for the Lord Jesus Christ or gets out of fellowship with God and serves himself or the world instead of God.
• Many teenagers are saved and love God until they get out of high school or college and the next things you know they are not even in church anymore.
• Having these things after you get saved is a good way to avoid the traps and snares of the devil that can destroy your walk with the Lord.
Things we need after we get Saved (2 Peter 1:5-10)
1) What are the seven things listed in this passage that we need?
2) What are we adding these things to and why is this connected with salvation?
3) How are we said to obtain these things? Give a verse for your answer.
4) Give a chain reference from the word of God for why diligence is important.
5) What are the main benefits of having these things in our lives that are found in the passage?