Wise Investing Acts 20:35 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
The Bible contains a lot of practical wisdom. That is the Bible is not just a spiritual book. It is also a very practical book. Military leaders can learn practical war tactics in this book. Businessmen can learn practical business management in here. I said that I would have been a much better banker if I had read the Bible through several times as I was coming up through the business.
Likewise, there is practical investment advice in this Book. Today you hear a lot about the right kinds of investments and the right kinds of investment objectives. People want to know about the best growth funds (explain) and they want to know about how to generate distributable income (explain). Well, the Bible has the right advice for those who are interested in wise investing. And unlike portfolio managers, you don’t have to have a lot of cash to get started.
The secret of investing with the Lord is GIVING – it is more blessed to give than to receive.
In investing you need to:
- Build a growth portfolio [something that gets bigger each year] – Prov 11:24 he that scattereth increaseth. The best kind of these is one that increases and throws off a little income as well 2 Cor 9:8-10.
- Generate disposable income [something you can spend or reinvest each year] – Lk 6:38 Give and it shall be given unto you – this is great because as you measure it out it is measured to you – i.e., the more you invest, the greater your return.
- Lay up a portion for your retirement [a growth fund] – Matt 6:20-21 you can actually send it on ahead and it will be there for you in eternity. Most people don’t think that far down the road. Prov 21:17 he that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man; Prov 21:20 foolish spend it up.
- Maintain some liquidity [for times when cash is short] – Acts 20:35 support the weak – Prov 21:13, Eph 4:28, that way when things get tight you can withdraw from the Lord against that which you have distributed to those in need. This is very important.
Now in order to accomplish this, you ought to have a plan:
- Monthly giving – Purpose in your heart to give – 2 Cor 9:7 give cheerfully – some giving ought to be planned, like weekly or monthly missions support.
- Abundance giving – 2 Cor 8:10-14 – when you are flush with cash, do more.