Getting Rid of Envy Prov. 27:4 CLICK TITLE FOR AUDIO
Who is able to stand before envy?
Gen 37:11 – Joseph couldn’t [Acts 7:9] – his envious brothers sold him into slavery
Ps 106:16 – Moses couldn’t – the envious Jews finally pushed him to speak unadvisedly with his lips and Moses died in the wilderness
Is 11:13 – Judah couldn’t – these two tribes sustained repeated attacks by Israel
Matt 27:18 Jesus couldn’t – the Pharisees wanted him dead and didn’t stop until he was crucified
Acts 13:45 Paul couldn’t – the Jews did everything they could to stop him
Envy is a sign of a carnal church 1 Cor 3:3; a church lacking charity 1 Cor 13:4; a church plagued by sin 2 Cor 12:20-21; a church that’s not spirit-filled Gal 5:21; and a church that is following man’s wisdom, [earthly sensual devilish] Jas 3:14-15.
You know if you are envious because you are mad at another person for having something you don’t have and are willing to do whatever it takes to get it (covetousness, slander, even murder).
But you have to get over envy – getting rid of envy requires you to:
- Rom 13:13 – Be honest.
- Gal 5:21 – Count the cost – do you want to lose your inheritance?
- 1 Pet 2:1-2 – Lay it aside – and pick up the Book [get your eyes off men and on to Lord].
- Jas 4:4-8 – Break off with the world and submit yourself in humility to God (accept with contentment what he gives you – 1 Tim 6:4-6).
- Jas 3:17-18 – Reject earthly wisdom and seek the wisdom from God.
- 1 Cor 14:1 – Follow after charity 1 Cor 13:4.
- Tit 3:3 – Get saved.